John, I would love to have had A&M saddled with Sherman...actually started to believe it and then they ruined my Christmas by axing him and starting their search. It's been a long time since someone has done so little with so much touted talent over such a long period of time. Well, maybe A&M will not be that soft spot on our SEC schedule after all!
1. Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne says he didn’t like having to fire Mike Sherman over the phone after news of the decision began to leak. (A&M shouldn’t have fired Sherman in the first place, but we’ll have more on that when they make their hire.)
2. This report — and there have been several varying takes on this subject — claims that Alabama offensive coordinator Jim McElwain backed out on a deal with Memphis.
3. Some homecoming, Alabama was upset 74-62 last night at Dayton, Anthony Grant’s alma mater.
4. Bad statistical numbers finally caught up with ex-Auburn defensive coordinator Ted Roof.
5. Running back Knile Davis says a positive attitude helped him get through rehab for his injured ankle.
6. The awards keep rolling in at LSU.
7. Despite all that offseason work with John Lucas down in Houston, MSU’s Renardo Sidney likely isn’t “draftable under any scenario right now.”
8. Ole Miss’ Hugh Freeze — just named the Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year — plans to discipline by “accountability groups.”
9. Two names that popped up on the UM rumor mill pre-Freeze: Phillip Fulmer and Jimmy Johnson.
10. Isn’t wasn’t pretty, but Florida bested Arizona 78-72 at the O-Dome last night.
11. Georgia Tech won at Stegeman Coliseum for the first time in 35 years last night, 68-56, sending Georgia to its fourth-straight loss overall.
12. Think Steve Spurrier’s recruiting well at South Carolina? For the second year in a row his team features the SEC’s Freshman of the Year.
13. Tennessee’s Jeronne Maymon needs to start working the glass a bit more.
14. Festus Ezeli was back in the lineup and Vanderbilt got back in the win column with an 87-83 victory over Davidson.