SEC/Big 12 Alliance and Conference Re-Alignment
1. Jon Solomon: “The schools are regaining control of the postseason economics. The Fiesta Bowl, which has anchored the Big 12 champion, should be nervous.”
2. Jerome Solomon: “This could be good news for Houston, bad news for the University of Houston.”
3. Stewart Mandel: “Will the SEC and Big 12 push for this new bowl to serve as their designated semifinal host?”
4. Jay Greeson: “The Champions Bowl is less about a power conference and more about a power play.”
5. Gene Frenette: “It’s a certain death notice for Big East football, and the ACC might not survive without convincing Florida State/Miami to stick around and Notre Dame to come on board.”
6. Pete Thamel: “The knee-jerk reaction on Twitter and among other college officials was that this could mean that Florida State winds up in the Big 12.”
7. Bobby Bowden’s message to Florida State boosters: “Do you want to win a National Championship at Florida State? You’ve got a better chance in the ACC than you have in the Big 12, or even the SEC.”
8. Tony Barnart’s message to Florida State’s representatives: ”Just shut up. Seriously. You need to shut up.”
9. Arkansas AD Jeff Long: “My interest and commitment continues to be providing leadership to the University of Arkansas and to Razorback athletics at this critical time in our program’s history.”
10. Arkansas coach John L. Smith is a man with something left to prove.
11. Georgia’s Damian Swann could have a real impact in the Bulldogs secondary this fall.
12. Tennessee football coach Derek Dooley on recruiting: ”I think it’s important your recruiting office is not tied to coaches,” he explained. “That’s something that we’ve tried to structure because it’s a transient profession and you can’t get held hostage by a coach. In other words, if he leaves, [you can't have] your whole recruiting thing get disrupted.
13. Tony Gilbert is leaving Georgia to join Auburn as a graduate assistant.
14. Why John Calipari and Billy Donovan make sense as candidates to eventually replace Mike Kryzewski as coach of Team USA.