1. We’ve received a lot of emails over the past few weeks asking about the SEC’s stance on Florida State. It certainly seems to us that FSU had its chance, passed, and isn’t likely to get another. Now, from a pair of Seminole trustees talking about the SEC to the school forming its own expansion committee last fall as the SEC was in the process of adding Texas A&M and Missouri, it appears that some in Tallahassee would just love to get a call from Mike Slive. In September of last year, we posted the following info regarding the SEC’s unofficial invitation to FSU in 1990. A lot has changed since that post went up — namely, FSU has gone from apparently not wanting Texas in the ACC to wanting to join Texas in the Big 12. Go figure. But for those interested in the history of FSU’s relations with the SEC and why a few old-timers in the league still hold a bit of grudge, this is still an interesting history lesson.
2. This writer says the SEC-Big 12 bowl deal shows that the ACC and Big East should have been angling for an eight-team playoff.
3. This national writer looks at the eight most important basketball newcomers to the SEC next season. (Not surprisingly, three will dress in Kentucky blue.)
4. The Alabama fan charged with committing sexual battery on an unconscious LSU fan after the BCS title game pled not guilty yesterday.
5. Arkansas has named six captains for this year’s football squad.
6. Crews have started work on the new $4.6 million HD video screen at Razorback Stadium.
7. Will Muschamp says having two quarterbacks push one another will be good Florida’s offense. (Sounds nice, but he’d better hope one of them separates himself from the other.)
8. Meet Georgia cornerback Damian Swann… the Dawgs’ fourth most important player in 2012.
9. John Calipari tweeted some photos from inside Kentucky’s new Wildcat Coal Lodge. (And, yes, the big booster behind the new digs is a coal magnate.)
10. This writer believes further conference realignment could help UK while hurting in-state rival Louisville.
11. AthlonSports.com previews South Carolina, their preseason #10 team.
12. The Tennessee football team made big improvements in the classroom from last fall to this spring.
13. ESPN lists the top 10 football players in the SEC.
14. Conference commissioners are hoping to agree upon a new playoff format by July 4th, but a lot of people are still on completely different pages.