1. CBSSports.com’s Dennis Dodd says conference commissioners are leaning toward “floating” their new playoff’s semifinals to the bowl game of the higher-seeded teams. (Assuming, of course, there will be a playoff.)
2. Three SEC schools — Ole Miss, Auburn and South Carolina — are ranked on this list of the nation’s 10 toughest football schedules.
3. The Sporting News lists LSU’s Tyrann Mathieu as one of its seven preseason Heisman favorites.
4. Mississippi State AD Scott Stricklin has asked the SEC to extend the Cowbell Compromise.
5. John Calipari has released a copy of a letter he’s written to his Kentucky basketball players.
6. Tennessee’s Tyler Bray and Arkansas’ Tyler Wilson have been invited to the Manning Passing Academy.
7. At least one Missouri writer seems pretty happy with the change in scenery provided by the SEC’s Spring Meetings.
8. This writer believes some SEC school might find ex-Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino irresistible by the end of the next football season.
9. One expansion-related note — this writer doesn’t think Clemson needs the Big 12 or the SEC.
10. And for all those who want a “blue ribbon panel” to decide which teams get into a new college football playoff — if there is a new college football playoff — here’s something to think about. And, yes, we also point out every March that folks fume and scream over the basketball selection committee, too.