The SEC Meetings kick off in Destin today with the league’s coaches arriving tomorrow (when things will really get rolling).
Conference expansion and realignment buzz continues to hum along.
It’s also Memorial Day and we hope you have a pleasant and safe one with your families. We also hope you remember all of those men and women who’ve risked their lives from our Revolution to the Civil War (which gave us our first “Decoration Day”), to Iraq and Afghanistan. You need not be a warmonger to respect those people who are willing to give so much. And you need not be a pacifist to wish all of those serving now a speedy and safe return home.
Below are a few of the stories making headlines on this holiday:
1. Some folks in Virginia wish the Virginia Tech-to-the-SEC talk needs to be buried for good.
2. The ADs at Tech and at Virginia both trust their fellow ACC athletic directors when they say they’re not talking to other conferences. (Obvious Point: It’s likely not the ADs who are doing any of the talking.)
3. Naturally, people associated with the Big East are still saying all the right things — just as they did before losing Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia and never-even-arrived TCU.
4. The new talking point for the Big 12 is “the electronic footprint” of its league, not its geographic footprint. (Which is what I’d be talking about too if I had a league that might soon be spread across non-contiguous states.)
5. This writer says many “if not most” Florida State alumni care more about football than basketball or academics, which makes a move to the Big 12 a potential big win.
6. As you’ve probably seen by now, FSU’s travel costs would likely jump 40% if it moves to the Big 12. (The fact that that research has already been conducted — an leaked — is telling.)
7. The Parade All-America Basketball Team was announced yesterday and four from the 40-man roster are headed to the SEC (one to Georgia and three to Kentucky).
8. Alabama will open the season against Michigan offensive coordinator Al Borges… who was 4-0 versus the Tide while at Auburn (from 2004 through 2007).
9. Arkansas interim coach John L. Smith says you’ve got to be able “to Facebook” and “to Twitter” in today’s world.
10. Florida has helped its frontcourt by landing South Carolina transfer Damontre Harris.
11. Two-way player Malcolm Mitchell figures to be Georgia’s most important footballer this fall.
12. This writer says expansion might not be a good thing for middle/bottom-of-the-pack teams like Tennessee.
Finally, we don’t cover college baseball around here — hey, we’re three guys covering 14 schools, 28 teams and recruiting and expansion already — but we would like to congratulate…
13. Mississippi State for winning the SEC tournament.
14. And Missouri for winning the Big 12 tournament. How ’bout that? SEC squads won two leagues’ baseball tourneys over the weekend. The win was the Tigers first baseball tourney championship since 1980… and their last official event as a Big 12 member. (Talk about hanging mistletoe from the back of your jacket.)