1. Jon Solomon on college football playoffs: “Keep it simple, stupid. The motto works in college football as well as it does in politics.”
2. SEC Commissioner Mike Slive: “When we go to a four-team playoff, which I anticipate we are, that our fans would expect us to provide the best four teams in the country. One, two, three, four.”
3. Brett McMurphy: “Whether it’s in English, Spanish, Roman numerals or even Pig Latin, there remains some pigheaded conferences that don’t want a four-team playoff to, you know, feature the nation’s best four teams.”
4. Does incoming Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby hold the cards to a college football playoff?
5. “The fight is only beginning.”
6. Virginia Tech AD Jim Weaver: “I promise you there’s nothing going on with Virginia Tech and the SEC. … It’s just so stupid.”
7. Georgia AD Greg McGarity: Maintaining the Auburn series “was our priority all along.”
8. LSU leaves Destin with a defeat?
9. Women’s rights groups didn’t like what Vanderbilt coach James Franklin said this week but say it’s not a firing offense.
10. “I’m sure Vanderbilt was embarrassed by his behavior, but it could be worse. He could have been on the back of a motorcycle with a hot, young thing he recently hired.”
11. Football, basketball and the art of horse riding. Equestrian will be a league-sponsored sport.
12. SEC schools can now host recruits at off-campus venues (think Dallas Cowboys Stadium).
13. A big commitment for the Alabama basketball team.
14. Michigan State’s long snapper says he’s transferring to Tennessee.
15. All but three members of Tennessee’s 2012 signing class are already on campus.
16. Take this Florida – Texas A&M sees your Will Muschamp barb and raises you a Nancy Berry video. Oh Snap.
17. “For the first time since the administration of Theodore Roosevelt, there’s a serious, sweeping debate over the prospect that football is simply too dangerous to subsist in a civilized society. ”