The North/South divisions idea is just a really, really bad idea I think. Not only are the divisions hopelessly unbalanced, but most of the best recruiting states are lumped together which will make it even harder for the North division teams to improve.
1. This scribe says the SEC’s dominance across multiple sports is growing. (The Pac-12 might have something to say about that.)
2. This writer wants to see SEC North and South Divisions. (But that ship has already sailed… and his South Division would be — traditionally speaking — a helluva lot tougher in football. The league’s goal was to change as little as possible, so this would be a no-go even if the league hadn’t just set its schedules. We’re linking to this again because I got a LOT of emails about yesterday’s link.)
3. With a playoff on the way, the city of Orlando has started talking about upgrading the Florida Citrus Bowl again.
4. Has ex-Kentucky Wildcat Doron Lamb slipped out of the NBA’s first round?
5. Kentucky football is looking toward Ohio more and more these days.
6. Georgia D-line coach Rodney Garner says he’s been “blessed” to be a part of SEC football for 28 years.
7. An NFL coach believes ex-Dawgs kicker Blair Walsh was “too fast with his get off time” on all those missed field goals last year.
8. The Gainesville Sun says South Carolina defensive end Devin Taylor is the SEC’s 22nd best player.
9. Tennessee’s Derek Dooley knows his seat is hot.
10. Vol basketball coach Cuonzo Martin says his faith helped him get through a battle with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
11. In a look at the SEC’s cross-division rivals for 2012, this writer says — and Jackie Sherrill would agree — that Thanksgiving week “will be the annual spot on the schedule” for LSU and Texas A&M.
12. Mississippi State center Dillon Day will be an important man for Dan Mullen’s team in 2012.
13. Former MSU hoopster Rodney Hood will choose between transferring to Duke or Ohio State tomorrow. (Tough loss for new coach Rick Ray.)
14. Ole Miss offensive lineman Patrick Junen — an 11-time starter for the Rebels — doesn’t figure to be a key cog this season… so long as no one gets hurt in front of him.