Can I tell you how happy we Mizzou alumni are to be here? I realize it's Independence Day, but July 1st was our Independence Day... Aggies and Tigers rejoice-- the best conference in THE LAND.
Happy Independence Day! Here’s hoping you have a fun and safe 4th of July.
First, as a long-time lover of Boston, let me just act as travel tipster and say that Revolution history buffs simply have to visit that city at some point in their lives. (For that matter, Independence Hall in Philadelphia will give you chills and Charleston, South Carolina has the feel of another era, as well… but Boston is filled to the top of its beanpot with Revolutionary War history.)
Second, here are just a few headlines for you on this holiday:
1. The playoff selection committee could become football’s new power brokers.
2. Uh, so like Alabama is supposed to take Western Kentucky seriously?
3. Auburn hoops coach Tony Barbee says “The players we brought in are better than the players that left.” (Snap.)
4. Would Arkansas AD Jeff Long consider bringing Bobby Petrino back?
5. So maybe this is why John L. Smith dumped his alma mater, Weber State, and ran back to take an interim gig in Fayetteville — he’s facing bankruptcy.
6. Ole Miss’ big man Murphy Holloway tried to turn heads at the Amare Stoudemire Skills Academy.
7. After sending out a fan survey, UM officials are making changes at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
8. Athlon predicts a six-win season for Mississippi State, but this writer “can see MSU winning eight games in the regular season without terrible difficulty.”
9. Kevin Sumlin hasn’t coached a game at Texas A&M, but this scribe says Eric Hyman’s arrival as AD puts him on the clock. (Technically, don’t all coaches go onto the hot seat about as soon as they’re hired these days?)
10. A few Florida freshman will likely get some early playing time this fall.
11. Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree is one of the SEC’s best.
12. The past 12 months weren’t a banner year for Tennessee athletics.
13. Kevin Stallings is shaking up his coaching staff at Vanderbilt.
14. This writer thinks Missouri basketball is primed for quick success in the SEC.
Have a good holiday everyone.