1. Here’s a good look at basketball recruiting in the Age of Hype.
2. This writer says Penn State’s scandal — and others — show it’s time for King Football to die.
3. Thanks to Texas A&M’s move, The Houston Chronicle is now having to cover the SEC. (That’s still hard for me to grasp.)
4.There will be some new names in Alabama’s secondary this season.
5. Auburn football has dealt with seven arrests in 18 months. (Hell, that’s pretty tame by some SEC schools’ standards.)
6. The Tigers’ secondary has a lot of promise.
7. History should toughen Arkansas fans as they look toward a bright future.
8. LSU’s Tyrann Mathieu is the SEC’s fourth-best player according to this paper.
9. With fellow tight end Malcolm Johnson injured, the sixth year of eligibility granted to Marcus Green is good news for Mississippi State.
10. Texas A&M’s new “anodized” helmets are unique. (Actually, they seem to be a hybrid between the shiny helmets and matte helmets everyone else wears.)
11. If the coaches’ All-SEC team is any indication, Florida could be in for a bumpy ride in 2012.
12. With a reserve DB/key special teamer off the team, Georgia is once again a full 15 scholarship players below the NCAA limit of 85. (Better pray for a season without injuries and suspensions… which is unlikely.)
13. Joker Phillips likes the look of Kentucky’s freshman class.
14. New South Carolina AD Ray Tanner should be careful what he wishes for.
15. Tennessee continues to have trouble selling tickets… even for big games.
16. This writer says Vanderbilt made the right move in naming David Williams athletic director.
17. Missouri’s team doctor is “cautiously optimistic” that quarterback James Franklin will be ready for the start of fall camp.
18. This writer lists the SEC coaches — head and assistant — he believes could be on their way up.