1. Want to be a head coach in college football? Become an assistant in the SEC: “Of the 124 current head coaches in the Football Bowl Subdivision, 34 were once full-time assistants on an SEC staff …”
2. What attracted Dan Mullen to the job at Mississippi State? “The talent in the state is amazing.”
3. Why MSU officials continue to push a Thanksgiving night Egg Bowl.
4. The preseason publications love the LSU Tigers.
5. Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron – championship quarterback or just a cog in Nick Saban’s system?
6. What’s the outlook for Tennessee football? “Barring critical injuries, the Vols should field their most competitive team since the 2007 SEC East champions.”
7. Why Texas A&M defensive lineman Damontre Moore, Jr. is overlooked but not underrated.
8. Georgia at Missouri – a top 10 game on the SEC calendar this fall.
11. From BCS to National Championship Series?
12. A trend toward earlier commitments: “A record 57 of the top 100 national players in the 2013 class had verbally committed before June 1 this year. That is almost double the number of players in the 2012 class who committed by June 1 a year ago.”
13. Ole Miss forward Murphy Holloway on the future of Andy Kennedy’s team: ”I think we have a lot of pieces that can help us soon, but I think it’ll be more of our returning players that already get it.”
14. Why Auburn’s Tony Barbee is a rarity among coaches.
15. UConn transfer Alex Oriakhi on his transition to Mizzou and working with new teammates: ”I can tell that they really want to win, and they know I can really help them.”
16. An analysis of where the athletic department money comes from – and where it goes at Missouri.
17. Tennessee basketball coach Cuonzo Martin welcomed two newcomers this past week: “They’re officially in the fold.”
18. A sprained ankle likely cost Anthony Davis a spot on the U.S. Olympic basketball team.