SEC West Football
1. Tyrann Mathieu’s impact at LSU: “One of the jarring disconnects from the 2011 season was how important Mathieu was to LSU during the other 12 games on the schedule and how irrelevant he was in the two Alabama games.”
2. Even without Mathieu, the Tigers “have everything in place to win it all.”
4. The Texas A&M quarterback job is up for grabs – and it involves not two but three players.
5. Full contact for Knile Davis? Probably not until its absolutely necessary.
6. 27 secondary violations in the Alabama athletic department over the past year – 11 of them were impermissible text messages.
7. Nick Saban on Michigan’s quarterback: “Denard Robinson is one of the most explosive players in college football.”
8. Virginia vs Auburn in 2015? – “nothing in place.”
9.The scouting report on Auburn’s Jay Prosch? “He’s a fantastic fullback.”
10. Tigers offensive coordinator Scott Loeffler on freshman quarterback Jonathan Wallace: “He’s got tremendous ‘it’ factor. He’s a winner. He’s going to help Auburn.”
11. Mississippi State safety Nickoe Whitley ruptured his achilles tendon last fall. “But I’m back full speed now.”
12. Tough Tuesday at Ole Miss - “leadership was lacking.”
SEC East Football
13. What’s the relationship like between Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney and quarterback Tyler Bray? “We haven’t been yelling at each other as much lately.”
14. Tennessee special teams coach Charlie Coiner on strategy and the new kickoff rules: ”Do you have a [kicker] that can bang it out, or do you want to kick it up there and try to let it drop inside the 5 and see what they’re going to do with it?”
15. Is there one thing Will Muschamp worries about the most? “I don’t know if there is one thing I could say. How much time you got?”
16. Biggest freshman buzz at Vanderbilt? Running back Brian Kimbrow.
17. Mizzou cornerback E.J. Gaines on the challenges of the SEC: “It’s like I’m a freshman coming into a new conference.”
18. Jeff Schultz: “Missouri coach Gary Pinkel seems to be getting a little paranoid before his first SEC game against Georgia.”
19. With Arthur Lynch and Jay Rome, Georgia looks to have another talented duo at tight end.
20. Punter Tyler Hull has only been in Columbia a week, but he’s the likely starter for South Carolina.
21. Tigers slay the Dragons. Missouri gets its third European victory.
23. After beating Lithuania, Arkansas heads to Rome for a game on Friday.
24. Razorbacks on-campus schedule – best in years?
25. With only 1.5 percent of the nation’s population, how does the state of Alabama manage to win three straight BCS titles?
27. Mike Herndon – “Always, the focus is clear: Get the kid qualified.”
28. USC coach Lane Kiffin on the challenges of scholarship reduction: ”We signed a kicker, a punter and a snapper so that we wouldn’t have to for the next four years.”
29. Here’s something you’d never read about in the SEC. What’s the buzz in California over the new Pac-12 TV network? “Put simply, not enough folks in the Bay Area and California care deeply about local college sports.”
30. The man responsible for all college programming at CBS is now the Big East commissioner.
31. Your in-studio analysts for the CBS Sports Network – Houston Nutt and Ron Zook.