2. Mississippi State writer’s Top 10 - LSU No. 1, Alabama No. 3, Georgia No. 7, Arkansas No. 9, and South Carolina No. 10.
SEC West Football
5. Arkansas running back Knile Davis: “I just feel like in everything you can ask for in a running back, I feel I have that.”
6. How did new Razorbacks coach John L. Smith come across at his first Arkansas Football Kickoff Luncheon? “There were flashes of the humor, but plenty of substance…”
7. Nick Saban says lineman D.J. Fluker reminds him of NFL lineman Flozell Adams: “He has really affected our offense in a positive way not only with his performance but his enthusiasm, attention to detail and intensity.”
8. Mississippi State quarterback Tyler Russell has signals he uses with his wide receivers that even his head coach doesn’t know.
9. Some over/under predictions for LSU this fall.
10. The Tigers return a deep and talented offensive line that will protect quarterback Zach Mettenberger.
Tyrann Mathieu’s decision to enter rehab
11. “It has the appearance of a man who isn’t looking for a quick fix, but who’s in search of a lifestyle change.”
12. Family said to be hoping for a possible return to football in 2013.
13. The dangers of synthetic marijuana: “People high on these drugs can become violent, have severe behavior changes and harm themselves or others.”
14. “There has been anecdotal evidence of heart attacks, psychosis, schizophrenia, paranoia and users with resting heart rates of 190.”
SEC East Football
15. Freshman running back Davanta Bourque has left the Tennessee team and a return is unlikely.
16. How is Tevin Westbrook doing in his transition from defensive end to tight end at Florida? Offensive coordinator Brent Pease: “Phenomenal.”
17. In the quarterback race at Florida, an injury to Jeff Driskel gives Jacoby Brissett a slight advantage.
18. T.J. Moe’s injured hamstring is giving Gahn McGaffie an opportunity at the slot position for Mizzou.
19. Lineman Mitch Hall is leaving Ole Miss - heading to Mizzou.
20. Expect South Carolina to use as many as three or four defensive ends in pass-rush situations.
21. Kentucky’s Martavious Neloms was the third leading tackler on the team last year from the safety position but he’s returning to the cornerback spot.
22. From good to great - expectations have changed at Georgia.
23. Georgia’s Ray Drew has gone from a 240-pound outside lineback to a 290-pound defensive end in the span of a year.
24. Vanderbilt wide receiver coach Josh Gattis connects with his young players: “Our first meeting with Coach Gattis, he told us that he wasn’t going to be a father figure for us, but more like a big brother …”
25. Alabama scrimmages this afternoon, Kentucky wraps up practice No. 16. an Ole Miss scrimmage this morning, Vols stage a “situational scrimmage” - give Tyler Brake a fake injury, a focus on special teams Sunday at LSU, final open practice tonight for Arkansas, what Georgia’s running backs have done in two scrimmages.
26. Michael Carrera is officially a part of the 2012 class at South Carolina.
27. John Calipari flies into town and $50,000 is raised in less than an hour.
28. Danny Sheridan, a suspected Cam Newton money man, and a lie detector test.
29. A comparison between Vanderbilt’s James Franklin and Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson.
30. Joe Paterno didn’t understand some of the graphic terminology in the Jerry Sandusky grand jury report.
31. What does the performance in the Olympics say about the United States and its athletes? “America, far from having collapsed, appears if anything to have grown stronger. In 1988 and 1992 it scored 36 and 37 golds. This year, 46.”