1. How high is the ceiling for South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney? Defensive end coach Brad Lawing: “I tell (Clowney) all the time, ‘You can be a first-rounder or you can be the first guy.’ It’s your choice.”
2. At 6-8 and 267 pounds, Gamecocks defensive end Devin Taylor is also a pro prospect.
3. Derek Dooley on his Tennessee team that returns 17 starters. “More than anything, I think our team is in a real confident state and I don’t think it’s false.”
4. Tennessee depth chart for North Carolina State released.
5. Injuries piling up at Mizzou – twenty players sat out Thursday’s scrimmage.
6. Tigers walk-on offensive lineman Max Copeland gets a scholarship.
7. Depth chart released at Vanderbilt.
8. Georgia QB Aaron Murray: “We definitely as an offense are in synch right now.”
9. Some of the highest-ranked recruits in the country the past few years play in Florida’s secondary. Now it’s time for the Gator DBs to live up to the billing.
10. Ominous sign for Florida wide receivers? First player mentioned by offensive coordinator Brent Pease is a walk-on.
11. Wide receiver woes at Kentucky, too. Receivers coach Pat Washington tries to re-instill confidence.”Like with a kid, you’ve got to kind of whip them on the butt a little bit but hug them on the neck at the same time.”
12. A projected 25 freshmen and 24 sophomores on Kentucky’s two-deep.
SEC West Football
13. Auburn wide receiver DeAngelo Benton suspended indefinitely.
14. Auburn close to naming a starting quarterback. Clint Moseley still bothered by his shoulder: “”They say if I was a pitcher, they’d put me on the DL.”
15. A decision could come today or Friday on the fate of LSU walk-on kicker Mo Isom.
16. With Morris Claiborne leaving early for the NFL and Tyrann Mathieu’s dismissal from the team, Tharold Simon is the lone cornerback veteran for the Tigers, safety Eric Reid is the lone returning starter.
17. Expect a dozen NFL scouts in the stands when the Texas A&M plays Louisiana Tech.
18, Alabama wants to focus on Michigan – but not just Michigan. Nick Saban: ”I think you can practice too long for one particular game.”
21. “This has been as promising a preseason as any in recent memory for the Razorbacks, eliminating – for the moment – apprehensions cast in April.”
22. The charisma of Dan Mullen is one reason for the rebound in fortunes of Mississippi State football.
23. Outlook at Ole Miss going from bad to worse?
24. What Tyrann Mathieu can learn from a running back at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Update: Mathieu’s adoptive father tells ESPN the former LSU cornerback won’t play football this year and his focus is working with counselor and former NBA player John Lucas.
25. A Bobby Petrino sighting - at a UAB football practice.
26. Shindig at the shore. SEC Beachfest this weekend in Gulf Shores, Alabama.
27. Why Oklahoma State hypnotizes its quarterbacks.
28. Sonny Vaccaro, former college basketball players and a lawsuit with the NCAA.
29. Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel is not the only top recruit where the NCAA is investigating eligibility issues.
30. Dennis Dodd on five years after Appalachian State-Michigan: “The closest airport to Boone, N.C., is in Johnson City, Tenn. When the nation’s biggest story finally landed, all the shaken, stirred and giddy players could think of was to belt out, “Rocky Top.” “