1. Jim Kleinpeter: “The Honey Badger’s days at LSU are done.”
2. John DeShazier: Mathieu ”doesn’t hold moronic exclusivity because he created a way to get kicked off the No. 1 team in the nation. But it doesn’t take long to call roll in his class.”
3. Scott Rabalais: “Overwhelming gloom and doom is to be expected at times like this, but unfounded.”
4. Stewart Mandel: The LSU offense “could be the difference between being No. 1 in the country or No. 4 in the SEC West.”
5. Glenn Guilbeau: “I am not changing my vote. LSU, which is No. 1 in the preseason USA TODAY Sports Coaches Poll, is still No. 1 on my ballot.”
6. Bruce Feldman: ”I still see the Tigers as a top-five team but I’m moving Alabama in front of LSU now.”
7. Tommy Tomlinson: “As great as Mathieu is, the Tigers might go undefeated without him.”
8. Dennis Dodd: “In a preseason poll this close, in a conference this talented, Mathieu absolutely made a difference.”
9. Mark Schlabach: “LSU lost one of its best players on Friday, and college football fans lost one of the sport’s greatest entertainers.”
10. Matt Hayes: “We build them up, and they eventually fall down. We make them stars, and they eventually are humbled.”
11. Jon Solomon: “At this rate, there could be an All-SEC castoff team. Bobby Petrino would coach once his apology tour ends.”
12. His LSU timeline.
13. Who will fill the void?
14. Other prominent players to receive the boot at LSU.