1. The culmination of a crazy week for Arkansas coach John L. Smith – flies to Idaho Thursday for brother’s funeral and then back to Arkansas Friday night.
2. “If anyone could use some good news right now, it’s John L. Smith.”
LSU at Auburn
3. Road trip to Auburn never easy for LSU – Tigers have lost 5 of their last 6 games at Jordan-Hare Stadium.
4. “LSU goes to Auburn a three-touchdown favorite. No LSU team armed with Bert Jones or Kevin Faulk or Patrick Peterson or Gordy Rush has ever gone to Auburn as a three-touchdown favorite.”
5. Key for an Auburn upset? Better tackling and stopping the running game.
6. What does Zach Mettenberger expect in his first road start? ”(I’m expecting) a lot of name calling coming my way, a lot of boos.”
South Alabama at Mississippi State
7. For the Bulldogs, a focus on improving the defense: “MSU players missed 22 tackles and 18 assignments against Troy.”
8. South Alabama coach Joey Jones on Mississippi State’s offensive line: ”They have good size, they move well and they just swallow people up.”
South Carolina State at Texas A&M
9. Johnny Manziel has been impressive at QB for the Aggies – but backup Jameill Showers has a stronger arm.
10. Between visits to Arizona last week and Texas A&M this week – South Carolina State will pocket $1 million.
Akron at Tennessee
11. Keep your eye on the Tennessee kicking game. ”Thus far in 2012, the UT kicking game has muddled somewhere between woeful and laughable.”
12. Akron coach Terry Bowden: ”Every Saturday, somebody upsets somebody. We have to go out there with the mentality, why not us?”
Vanderbilt at Georgia
13. Vanderbilt defensive coordinator Bob Shoop: “We probably haven’t played an offense that is this far and this explosive to date.”
14. Who will start at quarterback for Vanderbilt? We’ll find out - one hour before the game.
15. Five years after arriving at Georgia, Richard Samuel doesn’t have regrets - just frustration.
16. Forever linked because of a postgame spat – Vanderbilt’s James Franklin and Georgia’s Todd Grantham are a lot alike - both passionate competitors.