1. South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw felt “good” after Wednesday’s practice but status for Saturday still unclear.
2. Medical clearance based on “how much pain Shaw is willing to endure.”
3. Florida tight end Jordan Reed on recently-named starting QB Jeff Driskel: ”He’s more confident now and less worried about making mistakes…”
4. Alarming and hard to figure? Florida’s ”offense actually made more plays than a UF defense that many promoted in the preseason as possibly being one of the best in the nation in 2012.”
5. The loss of Da’rick Rogers at Tennessee has been Jacob Carter’s gain.
6. Gary Pinkel on Sheldon Richardson’s comments regarding Georgia: “What Sheldon did was wrong and irresponsible and that doesn’t happen here.”
7. “(E)ven if no one else quite believes Missouri is ready for the rough-and-tumble SEC, Georgia players are saying all the right things to show they respect what the Tigers bring to the table.”
8. Has Georgia defensive coordinator Todd Grantham seen anything like Mizzou’s spread offense? ”No, they’re entirely new.”
10. Kentucky’s solution for bad defensive play? Simplify things.
11. Joker Phillips: “We’ve got to put a better product on the field…”
12. Vanderbilt expects Northwestern to be ready this weekend: “They’re going to be amped up to play us because we’re an SEC team.”
13. Alabama vs. Western Kentucky. How often does a 34-point underdog actually win the game? Since 1980, it’s happened seven times – in 728 games.
14. Meet Alabama’s offensive line – “labeled by many as the best in college football”.
15. Missing two full seasons with knee injuries, Mississippi State tight end Marcus Green is in his sixth year of eligibility – and has never beaten Auburn.
16. Gene Chizik on the Auburn – Mississippi State matchup:“Every time we play them, certainly the last two, it’s come down to the wire, and it could very well come down to that again Saturday.”
17. Auburn lineman Shon Coleman’s long battle with cancer included two full years of chemotherapy treatments.
18. Here’s an advantage LSU has over Washington this weekend - familiarity with the heat and humidity.
19. Ole Miss has four running backs healthy and ready to go this weekend.
20. A cornerback battle at Arkansas. “It’s up for grabs right now.”
21. Kevin Sumlin’s first year record of 7-5?
22. Ron Higgins on Mike Slive, Mizzou and Texas A&M: “Yep Commish, you picked two jewels. They’re ready to play the feud.”
24. One game into the season, there’s a new generation of SEC stars.
25. Gary Parrish: If the allegations against Billy Gillispie are true, “then he’s a man who didn’t learn from his downfall at Kentucky and probably shouldn’t be coaching college basketball anyway.
26. John Clay:” Each new accusation out of Lubbock only serves to make UK’s former hire look that much worse.”
27. Arkansas’ schedule – “challenges from start to finish.”