Georgia is already an underachieving team. With a team littered with NFL talent and with legitimate BCS championship aspirations, to faceplant like they did against SC is likely going to end up being the defining moment of the season. Not to take anything away from Carolina as I don’t doubt they have the better team this year but they’re in no way 28 points better. Oh well, life goes on…
1. The Georgia defense ranks in the bottom half of the Southeastern Conference in every major statistical category.
2. The bar is high at Georgia. Would a loss to Florida make them 10-2 underachievers?
3. Stat Tennessee fans can enjoy: “The Vols have won their last five games after an off week when facing an opponent ranked outside the top 10.”
4. Derek Dooley is talking about “NFL guys” in the Mississippi State secondary but he’s engaged in that type of talk before.
5. Florida running back Mike Gillislee’s 34 carries against LSU the most for a Florida player since 1993.
6. Florida needs a punt returner. Will Muschamp: “We need drastic improvement.”
7. Muschamp on Vanderbilt: “A guy I have a lot of respect for is James Franklin.”
8. South Carolina defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward on Steve Spurrier’s rule: “The rule is win or lose we get to celebrate, or moan, for 24 hours after the game. “
10. Quarterback James Franklin and two offensive lineman will all miss the Alabama game with strained MCLs.
11. Kentucky quarterback Patrick Towles would be eligible for a medical hardship should he not be able to return this year. He’s out with a high ankle sprain.
13, Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze on the fourth down gamble against Texas A&M that backfired: “I want to be clear: I would go for that again every single time…”
14. A shoulder injury will sideline Ole Miss wide receiver Collins Moore the rest of the year.
15. With South Carolina coming to town Saturday, LSU will play the week after a loss for the first time since 2009.
16. Paul Finebaum on Arkansas’s next coach: “Jeff Long is about to make not only the most important decision in his career, but the most important decision in the history of the University of Arkansas.”
18. Alabama is a three-touchdown favorite at Missouri but Nick Saban points to last weekend’s games – three of the top-five ranked teams went down to defeat – to remind his players that anything can happen.
19. Columbia, Missouri writer: “The snobs of the SEC are comin’ to town.”
20. After missing the first five games of the year, Mississippi State tight end Malcolm Johnson is “probable” for Tennessee.
21. A Texas writer dreams of Aggies quarterback Johnny Manziel facing Conference USA defenses.
22. Nothing to see here. University of Arkansas says deferred payments for coach John L. Smith not unusual.
23. Forget about balance – play to your strengths in the SEC.
24. The SEC CBS afternoon game between LSU and Florida drew its highest ratings since Auburn-Georgia in 2010.
25. SEC East trending up and those “I Luv Chiz” bumper stickers trending down.
26. Burning SEC questions this week include the Ole Miss conference losing streak and the location of Harpo’s Bar and Grill.
27. Vanderbilt’s Kyle Fuller and the words his father told him before he died.
28. Former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl re-lists his Knoxville home -knocks about a quarter-million off the price