On Mondays and Fridays — when we’re a one-man writing band around here — headlines are going to be in more of a rushed version. Here, then, are today’s rushed headlines:
1. Here are the SEC’s Players of the Week.
2. Athlon Sports hands out some postseason SEC awards.
3. Tickets to the SEC Championship Game will cost ya this week. (Be careful… the SEC is warning folks about counterfeit tickets.)
4. Nick Saban says he may have to pull the redshirt from receiver Chris Black due to a season-ending injury to top deep threat Kenny Bell.
5. What a fast rise — and fall — for ousted Auburn coach Gene Chizik.
6. CBSSports.com’s Gregg Doyel writes “anyone offered Auburn job at this time, place would be a fool to take it.”
7. Matt Hayes of The Sporting News says AU should hire Bobby Petrino.
8. Chizik showed class in his post-boot statement.
9. Despite an eight-month head start, Arkansas now has plenty of competition in its coaching search.
10. LSU’s bowl options are numerous.
11. Ole Miss defensive back Charles Sawyer on Egg Bowl win over Mississippi State: “I felt them giving up, kind of.”
12. From a 7-0 start to an 8-4 finish, Dan Mullen has some coaches to evaluate in Starkville. (A MrSEC.com tipster claims Mullen had some harsh words for defensive coordinator Chris Wilson after Saturday’s loss.)
13. Texas A&M’s BCS bowl hopes took a hit when Alabama, Florida and Georgia all won on Saturday.
14. Polls indicate that Johnny Manziel is likely to become the first freshman to ever win the Heisman Trophy. (And he deserves it.)
15. Nick Saban thinks the loser of the SEC Championship Game should go to the Sugar Bowl. Florida’s Will Muschamp disagrees.
16. Gator linebacker Jelani Jenkins will have foot surgery and might miss UF’s bowl game.
17. Georgia safety Bacarri Rambo popped off about his team’s game with Alabama: “We have better players at each position, across the board, especially on defense.” (Stupid, stupid, stupid.)
18. Bulldog quarterback Aaron Murray won’t be speaking to the media at all this week.
19. Mark Richt on reaching Atlanta again: “You fight like mad every year to get your team in a position like this.”
20. Kentucky will no longer keep in-house records of actual football attendance numbers (so the pesky media can’t get ‘em through a Freedom of Information request).
21. Fill-in quarterback Dylan Thompson and South Carolina’s defenders got good grades after their win over Clemson.
22. Tennessee tight end Brandan Downs was arrested for underage drinking early Sunday morning.
24. Vanderbilt could be heading to the Gator Bowl or the Music City Bowl. (Come on, Gator Bowl, reward the Dores with an actual trip out of town.)
25. Missouri football is at a crossroads…
26. And Gary Pinkel has scheduled an end-of-the-year presser for tomorrow morning, calling it “a chance to look ahead to the 2013 season.” (That doesn’t sound like Pinkel will be stepping down as has been rumored.)
27. Here are the SEC’s Players of the Week for hoops.
28. With Auburn losing at home to previously winless Rhode Island, basketball season isn’t going much better than football season did for the Tigers.
29. Kentucky’s Ryan Harrow says he’s been away from the Wildcat team due to a family issue.
30. South Carolina is now 5-1 on the season after winning the Hoops For Hope Classic in Mexico last night.
31. Vanderbilt took down UTEP in Orlando last night.