Just shows you again how much James Franklin has done with that team only having used 4 true freshmen this year. Shows that they have enough upperclassmen talent to compete in the SEC. Amazing job.
1. Arkansas offensive guard Alvin Bailey will forego his final season and enter the NFL draft. Listed by one service as sixth-best offensive guard in draft.
2. Tennessee coach Butch Jones on wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson - “definitely going to the NFL.”
3. Will LSU linebacker Kevin Minter make the jump early to the pros? “It’s kind of up in the air right now.”
4. With brother Alec rumored to be jumping early to the NFL, the Ogletree twins’ time as teammates at Georgia looks to be coming to an end.
5. Five Florida juniors may depart early for the NFL - but they’re not talking about it. Defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd and safety Matt Elam projected as first-round picks
6. New Kentucky coach Mark Stoops on the first 18 days of his new job: “It definitely has been overwhelming at times. I don’t think there’s any way around that for anybody, whether you’ve been a head coach or not.” Transcript & Video of Press Conference.
7. Rated as one of the top 25 recruiters in the country, former Miami Hurricanes assistant George McDonald is joining Bret Bielema’s staff at Arkansas.
8. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has known Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin for a long time: “Heck, Kevin and I used to run around South Florida together recruiting when he was at Purdue and I was at Kansas State. We were chasing the same kids all the time.”
9. J.B. Grimes will coach the offensive line at Auburn. He coached with Gus Malzahn at Arkansas State.
10. Butch Jones is a prolific Tweeter, Mark Richt not so much: “I don’t feel like you have to Twitter to recruit or to promote your program.”
11. Texas A&M freshman wide receiver Thomas Johnson has withdrawn from school. Coach Kevin Sumlin says Johnson may re-enroll or transfer.
12. With the offensive coordinator position vacant, A&M running backs coach Clarence McKinney will call plays in the Cotton Bowl against Oklahoma.
13. Barrett Jones, Chance Warmack and Damion Square Alabama team captains. Jones: “That’s probably the biggest award I’ve ever gotten, is being a team captain, because it’s elected by your teammates.”
14. Alabama defensive backs coach Jeremy Pruitt not at practice Wednesday - believed to be for personal reasons, not because he’s accepted a rumored job at Florida State. (see update above)
15. Alabama and Notre Dame - just five years ago, neither team finished the regular season was above .500.
16. Although Florida is a double-digit favorite over Louisville, don’t expect Gator veterans to take the Cardinals lightly – they’re familiar with coach Charlie Strong.
17. Only four true freshman – out of 22 -played this year at Vanderbilt. All four contributed to Vanderbilt’s best regular season in 30 years.
18. What will Jadeveon Clowney need to do to get more Heisman attention next year? “I’m going to go for more forced fumbles next year. And just more big plays – interceptions. Everything I did in high school.”
19. Marcus Lattimore’s advice to South Carolina freshman running back Mike Davis.
20. With Bo Wallace resting his injured shoulder, quarterback Maikhail Miller is getting more practice reps this week.
21. Thanks in part to a new practice routine, LSU receivers picked up the pace late in the season.
22. The economic impact of recent Mississippi State bowl games.
23. Five more players from the SEC accept invitations to the Senior Bowl - SEC contingent now up to 10.
24. Does college football need more bowl games?
25. Associated Press on steroids in college football: College football players are packing on significant weight — 30 pounds or more in a single year, sometimes — without drawing much attention from their schools or the NCAA in a sport that earns tens of billions of dollars for teams.
26. Alabama 66 – Texas Tech 62. Crimson Tide nearly blow a 20-point lead but hang on to win.
28. Ole Miss 73 – Loyola-Marymount 70. 16 points and 14 rebounds for Murphy Holloway.
29. Florida 82 – Southeastern Louisiana 43. 20 points for Mike Rosario – fourth straight game in double figures. Video highlights.
30. Arkansas faces Robert Morris tonight and coach Mike Anderson doesn’t want the Razorbacks to take them lightly. “They’re a very explosive team.”
31. Missouri forward Alex Oriakhi on learning about what to expect Saturday in St. Louis – 20,000 fans evenly divided between Missouri and Illinois. “I didn’t know it was like that. Daaaanng!”
32. The SEC is beating up on bad teams in non-conference play – not nearly as successful against the good ones. No guarantees of a fourth NCAA Tournament bid?
33. Redshirt possible for Tennessee’s Jeronne Maymon?
34. 2012 Studs and Duds from the sports media universe