1. Nose guard John Jenkins has played his last game for Georgia. He won’t play in the Capital One Bowl because of an “academic-related” issue. Leaves a big hole in the Bulldogs defense.
2. Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray on possibly leaving early for the NFL: “I’m not making any decision or saying anything until after this game and want to sit down with my parents and discuss it from there.”
3. Priority number one for Mark Richt and Bulldogs following the bowl game? Hiring a replacement for Rodney Garner.
4. Alabama will likely return to Cowboys Stadium to open the 2015 season.
5. Alabama’s senior class has won 60 games over the past five seasons -tied with the 1993-1997 Nebraska Cornhuskers for the most in major college football history.
6. Alabama defense end Damion Square on Notre Dame’s offense: ”It’s sort of like our offense. They don’t do a lot of things, but the things they do, they do well.”
7. LSU’s secondary will be a point of emphasis in bowl practice leading up to Clemson game. Counting the final drive from Alabama, Tigers have given up over one-thousand passing yards in just over three games.
8. As if anyone has been wondering, Zach Mettenberger will return to LSU for his senior season. “I don’t know too many teams that would want to draft a guy who threw for 2,400 yards and 11 touchdowns.”
10. Florida freshman wide receiver Latroy Pittman has caught the eye of quarterback Jeff Driskel: “He’s had great bowl practices and I expect him to make some plays during the bowl game.”
11. First Tampa practice for South Carolina took place this morning. Steve Spurrier is impressed with Michigan’s defensive front. “Their front guys sort of jump out at you.”
12. Mississippi State is tied with Rutgers for the nation’s longest active bowl winning streak. Northwestern hasn’t won a postseason game since 1949. Bulldogs started practice in Jacksonville this morning.
13. Expect new offensive coordinator Josh Henson to shake up the Missouri offense next year - Tigers were just 13th in rushing offense and 9th in passing offense in 2012.
14. Why did Vanderbilt coach James Franklin wait to give his players the bowl game per diem? “We were going to give it to them before Christmas break. We vetoed that, changed it, because they would have no money when they got back.”
15. With plenty of young stars returning – including Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel and Georgia’s Todd Gurley - expect more offense in the SEC in 2013.
16. Another award for Manziel – named the Texas Sports Personality of the Year.
17. There are now 70 players who’ve accepted invitations to play in the Senior Bowl - 17 of them are from the SEC.
18. Former Villanova point guard Ty Johnson is transferring to South Carolina. He’ll be eligible in December 2013.
19. Kentucky-Louisville on Saturday a defensive battle? Cardinals are rated best defensive team in the country – UK is No. 8.
20. No Coke. Pepsi. A new year will mean a new drink at Rupp Arena.
21. USC more than 90 minutes late to Sun Bowl dinner – Georgia Tech leaves. Lane Kiffin spotted in sombrero.