The rest of the college football world may look at Alabama with a deer in the headlights look but as for the other SEC teams, not so much. A&M beat them, Georgia was withing 5 yards, LSU played them a decent game. So let the world fall all over Lord Saban and Bama, The SEC teams know they just have to work harder, With that said, Congrats to Bama and all it's fans on your Championship, the rest of us are already working towards the August 31st kickoff.
1. Circle the date – September 14th, 2013. The national champs vs. the Heisman Trophy winner - Alabama travels to Texas A&M.
2. One columnist’s 2013 rankings put Alabama No. 1 and Texas A&M No. 4.
3. Nick Saban is looking forward to building an offense around AJ McCarron: “I think AJ can be a really good player, maybe the best quarterback in the country next year.”
4. Alabama center Barrett Jones is having surgery on his foot today. He signed with agent Jimmy Sexton on Tuesday.
5. Because of disciplinary or academic issues, three true freshmen at Tennessee won’t be coming back. Vols unofficial tally is 62 scholarship players returning.
6. Florida transfer Jacoby Brissett won’t visit Tennessee but is considering Arkansas, according to his high school coach.
7. Former Tennessee cornerbacks coach Derrick Ansley reportedly headed to Kentucky for the same position.
8. LSU offensive lineman Chris Davenport will transfer to Tulane for his senior year.
9. Three Florida players had minor surgeries this week - all expected back for spring practice.
10. What’s the status of Florida heading into 2013? ”This is a Florida team that will be very much in transition as it moves forward into Will Muschamp’s third season.”
11. Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray on his decision to return for his senior year: “I pretty much knew all along, deep down inside, that I wanted to come back.”
12. Backup quarterback Hutson Mason “frustrated” but “not giving up on dreams.”
13. Thanks to Ole Miss fans, the BBVA Compass Bowl made the largest single-season attendance jump of any bowl this year – moving from 30th place to ninth.
14. Mississippi State fans give the team a C+ after an 8-5 season.
15. Because you can never have enough postseason awards – the USA Today all-bowl team is headlined by Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.
16. College football fans say South Carolina’s Jadeveon Clowney is the All-American Player of the Year.
17. Confirmed – Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl as sites for college football’s first semifinal playoffs. An announcement on the location of the final (expected to be Cowboys Stadium) will come no later than April.
18. BCS Championship game dates through 2026.
19. What we learned from the SEC bowl games.
BCS Title Game
20. Notre Dame fans react to the thumping in the BCS Championship Game - blame it on the refs.
21. Mike Herndon: SEC is “still the best football conference in the country. And it’s got the crystal footballs to prove it.”
22. Columnist: “What’s scary for the rest of college football are the signs that Alabama football under Nick Saban could become what Wooden’s UCLA teams were to college basketball more than 40 years ago.”
23. Former Nebraska coach Tom Osborne: “This machine is not slowing down.”
24. What the good news is for SEC haters.
26. Alabama-Notre Dame came in 10th place in television ratings among 15 BCS title broadcasts but had the second-largest audience of any program in cable history.
27. ESPN’s broadcasts of five BCS bowl games averaged just over 15 million viewers this year.
28. The Catholic basketball schools that broke away from the Big East are talking television deals with Fox.
29. ESPN parts ways with Rob Parker following his comments on Robert Griffin III.
30. Missouri 84 – Alabama 68. With team-high 22 points from Jabari Brown, Tigers mark their SEC debut with a victory. Laurence Bowers suffers apparent sprained MCL in his right knee will miss next two games. Kansas City native Trevor Releford scores 26 for the Crimson Tide. Video Highlights.
31. South Carolina vs. Mississippi State. Gamecocks could get two players back. With a win tonight, South Carolina eclipses victory total for all of last year.
32. Mississippi State’s Gavin Ware has gone from 290 pounds to a rock-solid 265.
33. Ole Miss vs. Tennessee. Rebels RPI is 66 - that’s fourth best in the SEC. Tennessee is shooting 29.1 percent from 3-point range, that’s 307th in the country.
34. Georgia vs. Florida. Gators Kenny Boynton on his team’s chances in the SEC: “I think we’re right up there at the top.” Georgia coach Mark Fox on the Gators: “They’ve got a terrific team. Probably the best Florida team that I think they’ve had.”
36. Arkansas vs Texas A&M. Razorbacks look to make statement with road win. Only one win on the road all of last year. A&M coach Billy Kennedy: “There will be no excuses on Wednesday. … We’re ready if we’re ever going to be ready.”
37. Kentucky plays at Vanderbilt Thursday night – always a big game for Vandy guard Kedron Johnson.
38. A lot has changed in the 10 months since Kentucky and Vanderbilt met in the SEC Tournament championship.
39. Two UK boosters paid for most of the $3.1 million in renovations for locker rooms at Rupp Arena.
40. “One reason the league’s profile has sunk in 2012-13? The flagship is taking on water.”