1. Florida five-star recruit and early enrollee Alex Anzalone has a torn labrum in his right shoulder -will miss the rest of spring practice.
2. Ole Miss defensive C.J. Johnson has reportedly broken his foot - out for the spring.
3. Tennessee senior defensive back Eric Gordon is dealing with personal issues - not practicing but on campus.
4. Defensive back Riyahd Jones once had a scholarship offer yanked by Kentucky – ended up going the JUCO route – and is now at Tennessee.
5. How will Vanderbilt replace running back Zac Stacy? It may take three guys.
6. South Carolina defensive backs coach Grady Brown on cornerback Victor Hampton: “If Vic was a sports car … he’d go from zero to 60 faster than any other sports car out there. He gets to his top speed fast.”
7. Running back Marcus Lattimore wants to show the progress he’s made coming off knee surgery at South Carolina’s pro day next week.
8. Pro day at Tennessee today - Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin in Knoxville.
9. On the job for a little more than 100 days, Gus Malzahn’s head-coaching style at Auburn is starting to emerge.
10. Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson on the type of defensive end he’s wants: ”We still want big, physical guys, but there’s a premium now on the fast-twitch or first-step guys.”
11. Regardless of what changes the NCAA may make, recruiting budgets are going up at Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Ole Miss increasing budget by $100,000 and MSU by $30,000.
12. An annual rite of passage at Alabama? ”Saban bemoans his team’s lack of professionalism; his team responds.”
13. The cases of four dismissed former Alabama players will be heard by a grand jury.
14. JUCO transfer Cam Clear will compete for a starting tight-end job at Texas A&M this fall. ”He’s one of the largest humans I have ever seen in my life.”
15. Texas A&M set to name a new president of its 12th Man Foundation. The fund-raising arm of Aggie athletics busy raising money for the $425 million renovation of Kyle Field set to start later this year.
16. Auburn will remove the poisoned oak trees at Toomer’s Corner on April 23rd.
17. In this SEC football version of March Madness - Georgia beats Texas A&M in the final.
18. What’s it like to be on NCAA Tournament-bound Ole Miss? Murphy Holloway: “I got a standing ovation in math class.”
20. Dennis Dodd wrote on Tuesday what we said on Sunday – when it comes to taunting, why do college football and college basketball play by different rules?
21. Florida opens NCAA Tournament play Friday against Northwestern State. On just about any tournament opponent – Gators will have experience edge in both playing and coaching. President Obama has Gators in Final Four.
22. Missouri plays Thursday night against Colorado State. Minnesota transfer Colton Iverson is 6-foot-10, 261 pounds and has racked up 14 double-doubles for the Rams this year.
23. Mizzou has nothing to fear from playing St. Louis University every year – “Neither school has proved especially adept at keeping the state’s premium basketball talent within its borders.”
24. Tennessee plays Mercer tonight in the first round of the NIT. Can the Vols get over their NCAA Tournament snub? Jordan McRae: “I mean, everybody is still upset about it… But there’s no need to tuck our heads down now. It is what it is.”
25. Will LSU forward Johnny O’Bryant depart for the NBA? Coach Johnny Jones - “no indication or expectations” that Bryant will leave.
26. Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings on this year’s 16-17 team. “It might have been among my best (coaching jobs).”
27. Why are college athletic director salaries so high? “When you don’t have to pay competitive wages for your actual workforce, there’s a lot more cash available to shower upon high-level bureaucrats.”
28. Hundreds of college basketball coaches are in Hutchinson, Kansas to watch the JUCO tournament.
29. Former Kentucky football coach Hal Mumme lands at SMU as assistant head coach and passing game coordinator.
30. Quarterback Gunner Kiel offiically out at at Notre Dame – not on spring roster – expected to transfer.