1. Kevin Scarbinsky on former Alabama A.D. Mal Moore, who died Saturday. “Moore will be linked forever with Paul Bryant in death as they were in life.”
2. Former Alabama coach Gene Stallings knew Moore for 55 years. ”I was extremely surprised when I found out that he passed away.”
3. Vanderbilt’s latest scrimmage shows the Commodores are committed to the Wildcat formation.
4. LSU defensive end Jordan Allen is back on the practice field after a knee injury against Washington cost him his sophomore season.
5. Injuries at Georgia – offensive lineman Austin Long out for the rest of the spring. Cornerback Sheldon Dawson likely out as well.
6. Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray on the Bulldogs Saturday scrimmage: “I thought we dominated the day.”
7. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema on the Razorbacks Saturday scrimmage: “I was happy with the way they were hitting.”
8. Looks like sophomore Brandon Allen has a slight edge on senior Brandon Mitchell for the Arkansas quarterback job.
9. Auburn quarterback Kiehl Frazier bulked up to 245 pounds last year. With the running game back in play, he’s shed 10 pounds already on the way back down to his freshman weight of 220 pounds.
10. Likely top target this fall for Mississippi State quarterback Tyler Russell? Junior receiver Robert Johnson. ”We actually played against each other in high school.”
11. It’s the one wide-open competition at Ole Miss this spring – tight end. Co-offensive coordinator Dan Werner: “We’re just playing about eight of them right now, letting them battle it out to see who’ll be the guy and right now nobody is separating themselves.”
SEC/NCAA Tournament Basketball
12. Trey Burke’s performance for Michigan Friday night was the first time a player had scored at least 20 points and 10 assists since Billy Donovan did it for Providence back in 1987.
13. Roster juggling at Tennessee or early NBA departures? Vols have ten returning scholarship players and four commitments. That’s 14 with a 13-scholarship limit.
14. Rick Pitino and Mike Krzyzewski will face each other for the first time today since the immortal Christian Laettner shot.