1. Johnny Manziel’s parents are shopping for insurance on their son. NCAA sponsored program provides up to $5 million in coverage.
2. Still red tape left to make it official, but Jason Jones from Oklahoma State will be the new cornerbacks coach at Ole Miss. “The main thing that stands out about his stop at Oklahoma State is how successful he was with defensive back recruits.”
3. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn is close to filling out his support staff, which features three former high school coaches. ”Being a former high school coach, that’s very important to me. Just trying to give some of these guys some opportunities to be in the same situation I am some day.”
4. South Carolina is having to replace all three starting linebackers from last year’s team. Linebackers coach Kirk Botkin: “There are no starters right now.”
5. Steve Spurrier likes what he sees from wide receiver Shamier Jeffrey: “He’s fit, he can run faster, can catch the ball and I think he’s going to be a real player for us.”
6. Five starters are gone from the front seven of the Texas A&M defense. Defensive coordinator Mark Snyder: “We got a lot of young guys — a bunch of new guys.”
7. Josh Harvey-Clemons is expected to see time at both safety and linebacker for Georgia this spring. Mark Richt: “Can he play some outside linebacker? Yeah, we think so. Can he play some safety? We think so too.”
8. Richt likes what he sees from linebacker James DeLoach: “He’s in tremendous condition; he’s a great athlete.”
9. Spring practice gets underway at Alabama on March 16. Coach Nick Saban: “I really like where our team is, how they’ve worked during the offseason conditioning program.”
10. Positive things about Tennessee football start with the offensive line - ”four seniors, 123 combined career starts and a likely NFL first-round draft pick at left tackle.”
11. Western Kentucky coach Bobby Petrino is getting ready for two SEC opponents to start the season: “You don’t really know what to expect from Kentucky. You don’t really know what to expect from Tennessee…”
12. Corey Lemonier gets a lot of questions from the NFL about Auburn’s worst season in 60 years. “I basically told them that coming into the season we had a dark cloud over our heads with the shooting and players getting arrested, and we didn’t have the talent to matchup with teams in the SEC.”
14. Dennis Dodd says hate is the wrong emotion to express for new recruiting rules: “It should be fear. Fear of what Alabama could do with the relaxed recruiting rules.”
NFL Draft Prospects
15. Five former SEC stars under pressure to perform at pro days.
16. At Auburn’s pro day on Tuesday, running back Onterio McCalebb ran an unofficial 4.29 forty-yard dash. Weighed in at 169 pounds.
17. Mississippi State pro day today. Former MSU receiver Chad Bumphis says his trainer refuses to show him his forty-time. “They won’t tell me. They say I’m getting better.”
18. Former Missouri wide receiver T.J. Moe chronicles his NFL Combine experience. ”The funny thing is that no doctor trusts the others.”
19. With the victory last night against Alabama, Ole Miss moves to 11-6 in conference. coach Andy Kennedy gets $100,000 for winning more than 10 conference games and receives $25,000 for every victory over 10.
20. Head-scratching and disappointing performance from Mike Anderson’s team at Missouri last night. ”Here’s the thing that just doesn’t make sense: Arkansas was playing for their tournament lives.”
21. Missouri center Alex Oriakhi on the intensity exhibited by coach Frank Haith last night: “I looked at him on the sideline and I didn’t really recognize him.”
22. Vanderbilt at Florida. Senior Night in Gainesville for Kenny Boynton, Erik Murphy and Mike Rosario. Could be first Gators class to win two outright SEC titles.
23. Tennessee travels Auburn tonight. A win won’t do much for Tennessee – but a loss to the 9-20 Tigers would be devastating for their NCAA tournament hopes.
24. Conference tournaments are underway and for bubble teams like Tennessee – they could have huge implications.
25. Georgia will host Kentucky Thursday night. Georgia’s Kentavious Caldwell-Pope one of only 11 Division I players to reach double-digits in points every game this year.
26. LSU travels to Texas A&M tonight. Depending on how things shake out, Tigers could be seeded as high as No. 6 in the SEC Tournament but could be as low as No. 11.
27. South Carolina has a shot at ending .500 in basketball but it won’t be easy. If not, Gamecocks will finish with fourth-straight losing season.
28. If the season ended today - here’s what the conference tournament seedings would look like. (PDF).
29. Thanks to a gift from an alum - Mississippi State will spend $500,000 to renovate the men’s locker room.
30. Kentucky basketball documentary debuting March 17th on TruTV.
32. The 10 most-despised college basketball players of all-time.
33. Steve Sarkisian is 26-25 in four seasons at Washington, but he’s reportedly the highest-paid football coach in the Pac-12.
34. How much does ESPN generate in cable fee revenue? In 2014, projected to be more than $7 billion.
35. What do you get when you combine Sons of Anarchy with Alabama football? Sons of Saban, of course.