3. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema likes the underdog role. ’I don’t think a lot of people have their eyes on Arkansas right now, and I think that’s a position that we really, really like.”
4. Georgia early enrollee J.J. Green will stay on offense as a tailback – had been projected as a cornerback.
5. Florida’s wide receivers will get 12 practice days in the fall - then cornerback Loucheiz Purifoy will be sent their way. Gators two-deep depth chart released.
6. Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin on practice music: “We don’t play football in a sterile environment.”
7. With just 11 seniors this fall, Mississippi State looking to underclassmen to step up their game.
8. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel on how to stop Jadeveon Clowney: “If I had that answer, I’d have everybody’s plan.”
College Football Playoffs
9. Six bowls - Rose, Sugar and Orange. Fiesta, Cotton and Chick-fil-A – will host playoff semifinal games four times over 12 years.
10. Dan Wetzel sees the playoffs evolving into an eight-team model with automatic bids for the five major conferences.
11. Some questions and answers about the new playoffs.
12. Dennis Dodd asks who is on the selection committee for college football playoffs? ”Seventeen months before that first playoff season kicks off in 2014, no one knows.”
13. After revealing four potential logos for the playoffs – officials for new playoff structure say their website was hacked.
14. Matt Hayes: “Had enough yet? The circus, everyone, has officially come to town.”
15. Most players ever taken from one team in one year was Ohio State in 2004. LSU has 14 projected draft picks.
16. If four Alabama players get taken in the first round of the NFL draft, it will be the third straight year that has happened. Crimson Tide has a shot at a school record five first-rounders.
17. Defensive back Dee Milliner is one of those Alabama players expected to go early despite having shoulder surgery. “My rehab’s going well and I’m ahead of schedule. I very much will be ready for training camp.”
18. Georgia hasn’t had a defensive player taken in the first round since 2005. With Jarvis Jones and Alec Ogletree, that will most likely change tonight.
20. Florida’s Sharrif Floyd considered a first-round lock. Teammate Matt Elam has a shot at joining him in the first round tonight.
22. Mississippi State cornerbacks Johnthan Banks and Darius Slay could both go in the second round. Slay reportedly has a torn meniscus.
23. LSU defensive end Sam Montgomery was once asked what he thought of Bear Bryant. ”I don’t know, I haven’t seen film of him.”
24.Is Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson the forgotten man of this year’s draft?
25. Does the NFL see former Auburn player Corey Lemonier as a defensive end or a linebacker?
26. Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin on offensive tackle Luke Joeckel: “A really, really good, low-maintenance player. Those are hard to find.”
27. Friday night could be the time former South Carolina players Marcus Lattimore and D.J. Swearinger get called.
28. Lattimore: “Three or four months of training from now I know that I’ll be back to where I was at. There’s no doubt in my mind.”
29. Almost no debate about next year’s projected first overall pick – Jadeveon Clowney.
30. Georgia assistant coach Kwanza Johnson is reportedly close to leaving for a job at TCU.
31. Does Russ Smith’s return mean Louisville will be the preseason No. 1 team or will it be Kentucky?
32. Considering the salary cap - best values in the NFL draft likely to be in the third or fourth rounds. Biggest draft busts ever.
33. NCAA president Mark Emmert: “Intercollegiate athletics has never been stronger in America.”
35. Banned Nike “Boston Massacre” t-shirt selling for $150,000 on eBay – refers to a baseball series, not marathon.
36. The cover of Boston magazine – shoes from the marathon.