Small point of contention:
11.) Kevin Wilson was the OC at Oklahoma, not OSU (not that OSU's record was any different during that time frame)
1. The two best red zone offenses in the SEC this year will meet on Saturday – Auburn and LSU.
2. Three of the next five weekends, LSU faces “teams with head coaches who were lovin’ no-huddle offenses before lovin’ no-huddle offenses was cool.” And also this: “No team is involved in more big-time matchups than LSU, which plays a ranked opponent in five of its final nine games.”
3. Early read on Auburn’s defense – bends but doesn’t break. Tigers giving up yards but not many points.
4. Tennessee coach Butch Jones counted 16 missed tackles from the Vols defense against Oregon.
5. Ole Miss strength and conditioning coach Paul Jackson on the Rebels freshman class: “I think we got a bunch of NFL guys in that class.” Are the Rebels ready to challenge for the SEC West title? Pat Dye gives his thoughts.
6. How young is Texas A&M’s defense? 10 of the 27-man defensive depth chart for Saturday’s game against SMU are true freshmen.
7. One man’s review of Johnny Manziel: “He is definitely an NFL quarterback in today’s NFL. Ten years ago we might not have had this conversation, but the game has evolved.”
8. After Manziel’s performance Saturday against Alabama, Nick Sabans opens up the competition in the secondary: “We’ve got some younger players that deserve an opportunity to play and we’re going to look at them in practice.”
9. Kevin Scarbinsky: “It’s getting harder to tell the SEC from the Big 12, the Pac-12 or Conference USA.”
10. Missouri linebacker Andrew Wilson will sit the first half against Indiana. New targeting rule has grabbed the attention of Tiger defenders.
11. Indiana coach Kevin Wilson knows Missouri well. Went 6-1 against Tigers while an assistant at Oklahoma
12. Want evidence of Arkansas running back Jonathan Williams’ big-play ability? Has runs of 45 or more yards in each of the Razorbacks first three games.
14. With Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen uncertain for Rutgers, Razorbacks rally around backup AJ Derby. “It’s next man in.”
15. Foot injuries make South Carolina defensive ends Jadeveon Clowney and Chaz Sutton day to day the rest of the year. Neither is expected to miss games. Defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles held out of Tuesday’s practice with a sprained neck.
16. Vanderbilt linebacker Chase Garnham has a leg injury that will sideline him for a while. Coach James Franklin worried about the position.
17. Florida guard Jon Halapio will return Saturday against Tennessee. Torn pectoral muscle had sidelined him since camp.
18. Bye week has recharged Florida running back Matt Jones - recovering from serious viral infection.
19. A Tennessee secret? For the first time this year, media not allowed to photograph or video the Volunteers practice on Tuesday.
20. Texas A&M receiver Ricky Seals-Jones may get a medical redshirt this season.
21. Kentucky is banged up following the loss to Louisville but has a week off to get ready for Florida.
22. Alabama receiver Kevin Norwood and cornerback Deion Belue on exercise bikes at Tuesday’s practice.
23. Ole Miss has lost forward Terry Brutus for the season. Tore his ACL in practice.
24. Alabama gets the #3 seed for NIT Season Tip-Off.
25. Tennessee sets TV times for its non-conference schedule. Vols with 18 games on national TV this season.
26. Texas middle-school football player dies – following an ant attack.
27. Former Nebraska AD Tom Osborne knew about the infamous Bo Pelini audiotape more than a year ago.