One rule (Touchback: 8-6-1) needs to be reviewed AND changed. It's too unfair a penalty to award the defense(when they are backed up to their own endzone), the football on a touchback if the offense fumbles the ball out-of-bounds beyond the goal line instead of out-of-bounds before reaching the goal line. Example: Georgia is awarded the ball in overtime from a touchback, when Tennessee loses possession of the ball stretching for the goal line and the ball going out-of-bounds beyond the goal line instead of out-of-bounds before the goal line. Tennessee should have kept possession of the ball when it was last possessed before losing control (about the 2 yard line). The stakes are too great to award the Defense the ball and penalize the Offense for the ball going out-of-bounds just inches past the pylon vs. inches in front of the pylon. This rule needs to be changed whereas the Offense keeps possession of the ball where it last had possession before losing it.
1. Missouri QB James Franklin will present plenty of problems for Georgia’s defense.
2. Georgia coach Mark Richt doesn’t plan to change the way he coaches special teams.
3. “The Hit was the worst thing that ever happened to Clowney.” Jason McIntyre looks at the national criticism of Jadeveon Clowney.
4. Alabama running back Kenyan Drake is more involved in the offense because he “did what he was supposed to do.”
5. Auburn running back Tre Mason wants to prove he can play at the NFL level.
6. Arkansas is preparing as if Jadeveon Clowney will play for South Carolina this weekend.
7. Nick Saban would have attended the reunion of LSU’s 2003 title team if not for Alabama’s game against Kentucky.
8. Here are five Gators LSU will pay attention to when the Tigers host Florida this weekend.
9. Ole Miss and safety Trae Elston don’t plan to miss any opportunities against Texas A&M after a close loss last year.
11. The Bulldogs have “two of the best quarterbacks in the nation right now,” according to Tyler Russell.
12. Unlike Mississippi State, Texas A&M hasn’t had third down issues. Johnny Manziel might be one reason.
13. LSU’s Zach Mettenberger is “looking like an NFL quarterback,” according to Florida linebacker Antonio Morrison.
14. LSU’s wide receivers vs. Florida’s defensive backs will be a great matchup to watch this weekend.
15. Kentucky’s defense knows it will be tested on Saturday when it hosts Alabama and quarterback AJ McCarron.
16. Tennessee defensive end Jacques Smith needs to be more consistent. He’s still working his way back from injury.
17. Tennessee and Virginia Tech will play a game at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2016.
18. Clowney was back at practice for South Carolina on Wednesday. His status for Saturday’s game is still unknown.
19. Georgia is hopeful WR Michael Bennett will be able to return from his knee injury to play against Florida.
20. Auburn QB Nick Marshall is improving from the knee injury he suffered against Ole Miss. But what if Marshall can’t play this week?
21. Alabama coach Nick Saban says receiver Amari Cooper is “getting healthy” after dealing with multiple injuries this year.
22. Ole Miss defensive end C.J. Johnson’s status is known for this week. Running back Jeff Scott will play.
23. Florida cornerback Marcus Roberson will be “full speed” against LSU.
24. Florida is talented but there are plenty of questions surrounding the Gators.
25. All seven CBS staff members picked Kentucky to win the SEC. Which teams might challenge the Wildcats?
26. Tennessee forward Jarnell Stokes said he was in tears after hearing so much criticism last year.
27. A few SEC coaches are included in Athlon’s list of potential coaching candidates this offseason.
29. Ben Kercheval looks at everything that is the “Red River Rivalry” as Oklahoma and Texas get ready to play.
30. Baylor coach Art Briles says he can’t see himself coaching anywhere but Baylor.
31. The strong play of Florida quarterback Tyler Murphy is one of the nation’s biggest surprises this season1