1. Alabama coach Nick Saban and “the special relationship” with NCAA President Mark Emmert.
3. The opportunity for LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger. A good game against Florida’s defense could vault him into the Heisman conversation. Or maybe he’s already in it.
4. What’s the secret to the turnaround of the LSU offense? Balance.
5. Florida offensive lineman Max Garcia on quarterback Tyler Murphy. “He’s cool, calm and collected. That’s all I can say.”
6. Gary Danielson: “LSU can embarrass quarterbacks.”
7. Missouri defensive coordinator Dave Steckel on defense end Michael Sam’s back-to-back three-sack games. “He has a passion and love for the game that has always been there.”
8. Missouri’s offense converting 53.8% on third down this year after converting 33.3% last season. Tigers running 77 plays a game - most in the SEC.
9. Georgia fans increasingly focused on the Bulldogs struggling defense and coordinator Todd Grantham.
10. With defensive tackle Kirby Ennis gone for the year, Texas A&M will have a challenge facing Ole Miss and running back Jeff Scott – rushed for 108 yards against the Aggies last year.
11. Ole Miss will have a challenge facing Johnny Manziel and the Aggies offense. Quarterback Bo Wallace: “They’re going to have to play against the best player in college football right now.
12. Ole Miss is tied for first in the SEC with four recovered fumbles. (But only seventh in the conference in defensive snaps/takeaways.)
13. The Kentucky-Alabama family feud. Defensive lineman Donte Rumph plays for Kentucky. Uncle Chris Rumph is defensive line coach for Alabama.
14. Alabama coach Nick Saban on wide receiver DeAndrew White: “He’s a very explosive player…”
15. The scheduling police are upset again – this time at Auburn for playing Western Carolina: “The Catamounts are the worst team in the Southern Conference, and they may be the worst team in the FCS.”
16. An issue at Auburn – too many turnovers are ending drives.
17. Turnovers also an issue at Arkansas. Quarterback Brandon Allen has three interceptions and a fumble in last two games.
18. NFL scout on Jadeveon Clowney: “He’s getting some bad advice right now and it’s going to hurt him in the long run.”
20. Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall injured his knee against Ole Miss but will practice this week. ”We expect him to be ready to go.”
21. Georgia says running back Keith Marshall will undergo ACL reconstruction within the next three weeks. Wide receivers Michael Bennett and Justin Scott-Wesley underwent knee surgeries Tuesday.
22. Georgia coach Mark Richt on his banged-up Bulldogs: “We’re ready to go to battle again.”
23. Tennessee is off this week and expects to get running back Marlin Lane back for the South Carolina game.
24. Florida still considering the possibility of redshirting freshman running back Kelvin Taylor.
25. South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw didn’t miss a game after spraining his shoulder. ”I’ve always had the mentality that I’m going to play through it no matter what.”
26. Alabama receiver Amari Cooper sat out Georgia State game with a toe injury. AJ McCarron: ”I don’t know really how much his toe is hurting or not.” Saban: “I do think he is getting healthy…”
27. “Through five games, Alabama’s best receiver of a year ago is becoming an afterthought.”
28. There are 16 undefeated teams in college football. But thanks to the schedule, only a maximum of seven could remain that way.
30. What you get when you search for “Les Miles” at the Home Depot website.