March 28th, 2013 12:29 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Auburn, Miami, Mississippi State, NCAA, Ole Miss
1. Kentucky starting defensive tackle Donte Rumph injured in spring practice. Coach Mark Stoops: ”It looks like it’s a fairly significant injury. He may be out for a while, may require some surgery.” Injury leaves a big void.
2. Challenge for the Ole Miss defense - only Mississippi State gave up more yards per play last season among SEC bowl teams.
3. Former Southern Miss quarterback Anthony Alford working out at safety for Ole Miss. Expected to sit out this season due to transfer rules.
4. Billy Gonzales is the fourth wide receiver coach at Mississippi State in four years. Wide receiver Jameon Lewis: ”He’s got a different burst of energy that makes you go get it.” Bulldogs practice in pads for the first time Wednesday.
5. It’s all about tempo at Auburn. New coach Gus Malzahn wants things faster: ”The X’s and O’s will come, but the main thing is we have to learn how to practice.” Approach vastly different from Gene Chizik.
6. More Malzahn: “When I first got the job, it was evident we had some players with mental scars and all that…”
7. Bruce Feldman on Florida’s BCS championship odds: “At 25-1, the Gators are worth a long look.” (Also likes Texas A&M at 15-1).
8. Butch Jones, Nick Saban and the speaking wars of East Tennessee.
9. Saban on new Alabama offensive line coach Mario Cristobal: “He brings some new ideas, that’s always welcome when you have new coaches join the staff…”
10. As an early enrollee in the class of 2009, no one has been a part of the Georgia program longer than Dallas Lee.
11. Some shuffling along the offensive line at Texas A&M.
12. Arkansas fullback Kiero Small back to full strength after missing 11 games last season with a broken foot.
13. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel: ”I Twitter guys all the time now, and I didn’t even know what Twitter was” a few years ago.
14. Tony Barnhart: “The SEC West is the toughest division in the toughest college football conference in America. This is not debatable.”
SEC NFL Prospects
15. Thirty-one NFL teams on hand Wednesday at South Carolina’s pro day to watch Marcus Lattimore. First time in Williams-Brice Stadium for Lattimore since knee injury last fall.
16. No players at South Carolina guaranteed to go in first two rounds of draft - Ace Sanders projected as fifth or sixth-round pick.
17. Tyrann Mathieu among the former players who participated in LSU’s pro day yesterday.
18. Will defensive end Barkevious Mingo’s low sack total last season scare away NFL teams? Les Miles: ”If they don’t want him (in the NFL), we’ll take him back.”
19. AFC general manager on former Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel. “Everything is perfect with him.”
20. Former Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner will meet with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Cleveland Browns.
21. Former Auburn defensive end Corey Lemonier meets with the Atlanta Falcons, will meet with Tampa Bay soon.
22. Seven NFL coaches have visited Georgia in the past week.
23. Does a Willie Cauley-Stein tweet indicate the Kentucky freshman is leaning toward leaving for the NBA?
24. Florida will bring a group of about 115 to Dallas for the NCAA Tournament. NCAA pays the expenses for 75.
25. Putting Alabama’s season in context - Tide picked to finish sixth – ended up tied for second. Suggestions on getting Alabama to play to its full potential.
26. How should Tennessee’s basketball program be judged? “In the context of the SEC, the Vols are barely middle of the pack.”
27. If Mike Anderson can take credit for Frank Haith’s players, Haith can take some credit for things at Miami, right?
28. Questions facing Mizzou next year include Haith’s NCAA case at Miami.
29. More questionable NCAA behavior in the Miami/Nevin Shapiro investigation. The University of Miami will submit motion to dismiss the case on Friday.
30. BCS “playoff group” receives bids from four cities – Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix and San Diego.
31. Confused with realignment in college sports? This graphic should help.
32. Michigan State coach Tom Izzo on his 13-year old son’s bracket. “The damn kid picked Duke.”
33. Heads are rolling at the Sporting News.
34. More cash hungry states look to legalize sports betting. Polls show a growing acceptance among the public.
|Post Comments »||One Comment|