April 24th, 2013 09:51 AM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
Tags: College Football Playoff, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl
The FBS presidents have decided on a name for their new college football playoff — the College Football Playoff. No, that’s not the most imaginative name in the world, but if the product is something everyone wants there’s no need for a flashy name. And just about every college football fan in America has wanted a College Football Playoff at one time or another.
The powers-that-be have also decided on the site of the first title game — Arlington, Texas’ Cowboys Stadium. Sources reported to ESPN that Tampa actually put together a better than expected bid before losing out to Jerry Jones’ palace. “It was closer than a lot of people thought it would be.”
You can actually vote for the new playoff logo — and they’re also rather bland — at CollegeFootballPlayoff.com. (For some reason, the logo that looks like a throwing star ranks ahead of the classier, Logo #2.)
More info leaking from the FBS presidents’ meeting in Pasadena:
* The six bowls making up the playoff rotation will be: the Rose Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, the Orange Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl, the Chick-fil-A Bowl (welcome to the big time), and the Cotton Bowl.
* No city will host the title game and a semifinal in the same year, so the Cotton Bowl won’t host a semifinal game in the first year of the playoff’s existence (the 2014 season).
* The semifinal rotation will progress as follows: Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl (January 1st, 2015), Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl (December 31st, 2015), Fiesta Bowl and Chick-fil-A Bowl (January 1st, 2016), rinse, wash and repeat in that order through the 2026 playoffs.
* The title games will all be played on Mondays — January 12th, 2015, January 11th, 2016, January 9th, 2017, and so on.
* In the years the Orange Bowl (ACC versus highest-ranked SEC/Big Ten/Notre Dame), Rose Bowl (Big Ten versus Pac-12) and Sugar Bowl (SEC versus Big XII) are not part of the semifinal rotation, they will get the highest ranked team from their existing partners.
* The playoff selection committee will determine the matchups for the other bowl when they are not part of the rotation.
This information is expected to be officially announced today.
|Post Comments »||Comments (3)|