May 30th, 2012 10:35 AM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Derrick Crudup, Kansas City, Marshawn Powell, SEC
1. Big 12 fans won’t like it, but The Onion — “America’s Finest News Source” — has decided to have a little fun with the new Big 12-SEC bowl game.
2. Seven cities — Atlanta, Kansas City, Memphis, New Orleans, Orlando, St. Louis and Tampa — have expressed interest in hosting the SEC basketball tournament in 2017.
3. It’s behind a paywall, but Orangebloods.com reports that one Big 12 source told the site, “I don’t sense serious interest in expansion at this time.” (Yes, but was that source anti-expansion man, Texas AD DeLoss Dodds and will that view change if a playoff comes to pass?)
4. Now here’s one you don’t see everyday. Alabama football graduate assistant Derrick Crudup was arrested on May 22n for misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
5. Aside from a football national title in 2010, Auburn has seen a stretch of troubles that trace back to decisions made in 2004.
6. Arkansas hoopster Marshawn Powell continues his rehab process.
7. This writer wonders if Les Miles and LSU have lost their nerve following last year’s 21-0 loss in the BCS Championship Game.
8. Miles says he still wouldn’t change any of the play calls from the Tigers’ loss to Bama.
9. Texas A&M football coach and SEC newcomer Kevin Sumlin plans to do more listening than talking this week.
10. Billy Donovan feels there’s still more for him to accomplish at Florida.
11. Will Muschamp says defensive end and linebacker Ronald Powell is ahead of schedule in his comeback from ACL surgery.
12. The Anthony Davis — I’m sorry — the NBA draft lottery will be held tonight.
13. What kind of impact will John Calipari’s plan to play more big games at neutral sites have on Lexington’s economy?
14. Wildcat football coach Joker Phillips ruffled some Cardinal feathers when he said yesterday that UK would have to consider dropping the Louisville game if the SEC ever went to a nine-game conference schedule. (Funny, I haven’t heard Clemson, Georgia Tech or Florida State folks talk about dropping South Carolina, Georgia or Florida when the ACC going to a nine-game slate.)
15. At least four Tennessee athletes reported thefts of electronic equipment from their dorm rooms prior to tight end Cameron Clear’s dismissal last week for allegedly pilfering a Vol baseball player’s laptop. (Derek Dooley — the old attorney — didn’t bother to use the word allegedly when discussing Clear’s case yesterday.)
16. Gary Pinkel says Missouri quarterback James Franklin is ahead of schedule in his recovery from shoulder surgery this spring.
17. Former Tiger basketball coach Mike Anderson was pleased to watch his old team’s success from Arkansas last year.
18. Mizzou and A&M are learning about life in the Southeastern Conference.
|Post Comments »||Comments (3)|