May 24th, 2012 03:24 PM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Jadeveon Clowney, John Isaac, Mark Richt, Tennessee Derek Dooley
1. Several Southern newspapers are cutting staff and cutting back their print days. Yes, it’s a sign of the times, but it’s not good for the future of journalism.
2. One of our favorite writers points out how quickly things can change in college football by reminding everyone that just seven years ago, people were wondering if the ACC could challenge the SEC.
3. Two receivers and a tight end arrested for burglary this month are “not a part of (Arkansas’) football team until this thing gets cleared up or they may never be a part.” (They’re also not enrolled in school at the moment.)
4. Backup guard John Isaac won’t return to LSU next year because he “failed to meet the institutional and NCAA requirements” for eligibility.
5. Mark Richt’s new contract won’t include a salary bump, but he will get bigger incentive bonuses. (This writer thinks that means AD Greg McGarity believes Richt still has more to prove.)
6. AthlonSports.com ranks Georgia as its preseason #8 team in the nation.
7. While a national group questions his program’s “professional model,” John Calipari says he wants to create “experiences, not just games” by scheduling mega-events at neutral sites.
8. South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney talks about his freshman season.
9. Tennessee’s Derek Dooley once again says, “All the anchors that have been weighing our program down the last three or four years are gone.”
|Post Comments »||No Comments|