August 31st, 2011 12:03 PM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
Tags: Barry Brunetti, Joe Namath, Missouri State, SEC
1. Alabama linebacker Dont’a Hightower is now 100% back from a 2009 knee injury.
2. Freshman O-lineman Cyrus Kouandjio is being called a prodigy.
3. The Tide’s quarterback battle is about to take it up a notch (Stringbean).
4. Joe Namath has actor Alec Baldwin sending naughty, pro-Bama tweets.
5. Auburn’s football team is “Puppy-ville” this season.
6. Tailback Mike Dyer is a backup on paper only.
7. Barrett Trotter is ready to take the reins on The Plains.
8. Arkansas’ De’Anthony Curtis is “thankful” to be back at running back.
9. The Hogs are now in fine-tuning mode leading up to Saturday’s opener with Missouri State.
10. If Texas A&M does join the SEC — and if Arkansas doesn’t leave for the Big 12 (Ha!) — will the Aggies and Razorbacks continue to play in Arlington, Texas? (A neutral site works for Florida-Georgia.)
11. LSU’s defense is bracing for Oregon’s up-tempo attack.
12. Redshirt freshman running back Jakhari Gore has been getting good reviews for his mimicry of the Ducks’ LaMichael James in practice.
13. Meanwhile, Oregon isn’t planning on changing up its D just because Jarrett Lee is getting the starting quarterback nod for the Tigers.
14. Mississippi State has a big-play secondary.
15. A former walk-on has edged out highly-touted transfer Brandon Maye for a starting linebacker spot at MSU.
16. Dan Mullen says he’s worried about a pair of “SEC-talented” D-linemen who’ll line up for Memphis tomorrow night.
17. New quarterback Barry Brunetti says UM’s offense “can be deadly” once everyone gets comfortable.
18. With so many new faces in the lineup, Ole Miss fans will need a program to keep up.
19. This writer says the Rebels need to rebound now, not later.
|Post Comments »||No Comments|