1. The lone returning starter among Tennessee’s front seven – Malik Jackson – sprains his right knee.
2. Tennessee’s Marlon Walls is in his third position since high school. Fullback Channing Fugate can block, run and catch passes.
3. Alabama’s Duron Carter - not eligible yet. He’s not the only wide receiver to be missing practice at Alabama.
4. Despite diminishing depth in the backfield, coach Nick Saban says the Tide still has options.
5. Saban is not happy with the media: “Every day, I’m going to post something that’s just total B.S.”
6. How would Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray grade his freshman year?: “If I had to grade myself on my performance, I’d give myself a C, at best,”
7. Redshirt freshman Ken Malcome an option in the backfield for the Georgia Bulldogs. Mark Richt likes what he sees from Isaiah Crowell.
8. Georgia’s T.J. Stripling continues to make progress from a serious knee injury suffered last year.
9. Practice gets underway at Ole Miss with a quarterback battle at the top of the agenda.
10. It’s a two-man battle for quarterback at Vanderbilt.
11. The football culture at Vanderbilt is changing.
12. Junior quarterback Morgan Newton is the man at Kentucky.
13. Kentucky freshmen, while off-limits to the media until after the first game, may make an impression before then.
14. Expect Auburn’s Philip Lutzenkirchen will be a focal point of the offense – in the backfield, at wide receiver or as a tight end.
15. Is Gabe Wright the next Nick Fairley at Auburn?
16. With a 1.000 yard rusher, 1.000 yard receiver and 3,000 yard QB all returning, South Carolina becomes the first SEC team ever to pull off that trifecta.
17. South Carolina AD Eric Hyman, rumored to be a possible candidate at Tennessee, gets a $75,000 raise.
18. LSU shows support for assistant coach Steve Kragthorpe who revealed this week he has Parkinson’s disease. Flooded with well wishes from fans.
19. New Tigers offensive coordinator Greg Studrawa: “Our MO is going to stay exactly the same.”
20. LSU sophomore Tharold Simon will anchor one of the cornerback spots for the Tigers.
21. For the third straight year, Jarrett Lee will enter fall as Jordan Jefferson’s backup.
22. Florida’s Jeff Demps considered focusing on just his track career. Ditches No. 2 for No. 28.
23. Florida’s Lerentee McCray will play the “buck” position – part linebacker, part defensive end.
24. Will Muschamp: “I’m excited about getting on the field and coaching.” Overlooked Gators use disrespect as motivational tool.
25. “Florida is young and largely inexperienced. It will take time for this group to find its identity and, most important, special leaders.”
26. Thanks to Charlie Weis, John Brantley’s confidence is back.
27. Arkansas has put an emphasis on recruiting bigger athletes. “We want tall, long, athletic kids.”
28. Two more dates known on the Razorbacks non-conference basketball schedule.