September 5th, 2013 12:29 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Auburn, Georgia, Oakland Raiders, Ole Miss, Player Injuries, South Carolina, TV
1. Georgia left tackle Kenarious Gates on facing South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney: ”I’m just going to treat it like I do every other game. It’s another game on the schedule.”
3. South Carolina has 25 players - more than a quarter of the roster – from the state of Georgia.
4. Major focus at Georgia this week - tackling. Mark Richt: “We need to tackle better than we did, especially in space.”
5. Arkansas A.D. Jeff Long asked about future of games in Little Rock after comment from Bret Bielema.
6. Florida defensive coordinator D.J. Durkin on facing Miami: “It will be a great test for us. We’ve got young guys playing. It’s their first road game.”
7. What’s happened to Florida’s wide receivers? Many of them are no longer in Gainesville.
8. After opening with TCU, will LSU face an emotional letdown this week?
10. Suspensions have left the Texas A&M defense shorthanded but it’s also giving young players valuable playing experience.
11. Cincinnati coach Tommy Tuberville on Nick Saban’s program: ”I don’t see any stop in sight the way they’re recruiting.” (Our story from this morning on Bama recruiting buzz and the commitment of Cameron Robinson)
12. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn expects better things this week from quarterback Nick Marshall: ”I know his nerves are going to be better.”
13. Missouri will see an offense similar to its own when it faces Toledo this weekend.
14. Mississippi State is looking for improvement from its young receiving corp this weekend.
15. Here’s a stat that Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze is using to remind his players not to take Southeast Missouri lightly: Eight FCS teams FBS teams in college football’s opening weekend.
16. 190-pound Kentucky defensive back Blake McClain found himself playing linebacker Saturday.
17. Florida guard Jon Halapio only starting Gator expected to miss Miami game. Will Muschamp: ”Since the start of camp this is probably the healthiest we’ve been.”
18. Georgia freshman receiver Tramel Terry had hoped to play this year coming off an ACL injury. Now it looks like he’ll sit out the season.
19. South Carolina wide receiver Bruce Ellington’s hamstring is getting healthy but center Cody Waldrop described as “questionable to doubtful” Saturday.
20. Vanderbilt middle linebacker Chase Garnham hasn’t practiced this week - undisclosed injury.
21. Auburn safety Justin Garrett missed the opener with a foot sprain - aiming to return this weekend.
22. Denzel Nkemdiche’s injury is forcing a shuffle at linebacker for Ole Miss. D.T. Shackelford now a backup middle linebacker.
23. Tennessee coach Butch Jones says defensive end Jacques Smith will have screws removed from this thumb - might play Saturday.
24. Remember that bankruptcy case of former Arkansas coach John L. Smith? It’s over. Judge approves settlement.
25. Time Magazine cover with picture of Johnny Manziel: It’s Time To Pay College Athletes.
26. Fan design of a futuristic Florida helmet generates buzz on Twitter.
27. Fox Sports wants Big Ten football.
28. Preseason football or reality TV? In Dallas, people chose “Duck Dynasty” over the Cowboys.
29. Twitter study shows which NFL fans are happiest after a win and saddest after a loss. Most unstable group? Oakland Raiders’ fans.
30. UNLV uses a billboard campaign to sell tickets. The only problem – picture featured a coach who left in 2011.
31. Sad story. Former Kentucky basketball player Richie Farmer likely headed to prison.
|Post Comments »||No Comments|