September 20th, 2013 12:30 PM║ Posted By: Mike Mitchell ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Auburn, Brandon Allen, Gus Malzahn, Injuries Player Updates, Nick Saban, Ole Miss, Pat Forde, SEC
1. How could Vanderbilt quarterback Austyn Carta-Samuels be “misidentified” in a text message linked to a rape case? Prosecutors won’t say.
2. Is Florida “the most underrated team in the country right now”? And here’s what CBS analyst Gary Danielson says about Tennessee: ”If it becomes a game where Tennessee depends on their quarterback to win it, they don’t have a chance.”
3. What Tennessee wants to avoid. Third downs against the Gators defense.
4. Trash talk! Indiana tweets fire up Missouri’s secondary.
5. Mizzou redshirt freshman nose guard Harold Brantley drawing comparisons to former Tiger Sheldon Richardson? “You’re going to put him on the same level pretty soon.”
6. NFL-style critique of Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron: ”He has not consistently shown the ability to get flushed and make a play.”
7. And Johnny Manziel? “He’s the Curly Neal of the Harlem Globetrotters on offense. He’s really that good.”
8. Is the SEC starting to look like the Big 12?
9. Heading into LSU’s Tiger Stadium, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn sees an improved Nick Marshall: ”I’ve seen a difference in him. I think he’s confident.”
10. And what will the atmosphere be like? ”Should be the largest and rowdiest crowd of the season.”
11. Arkansas getting strong play up front. In three weeks, Razorbacks have twice won defensive lineman of the week awards.
12. What does Georgia expect from North Texas? Mark Richt: “They’re a team that’s only given up six points in the second half in three games.”
13. No offense in the country has more fourth-down attempts than Mississippi State.
14. Early verdict on Ole Miss freshman defensive lineman Robert Nkemdiche? “He’s getting better every week.” Leads all freshman nationally in tackles for loss.
15. Ole Miss sets a record for season-ticket sales.
16. Expect a mostly empty Gillette Stadium for Vanderbilt-UMass this weekend.
Nick Saban/Mack Brown
17. Pat Forde on those Nick Saban to Texas rumors: ”If Mack Brown goes down, the price for Nick Saban may go up to an unprecedented figure.”
18. Kevin Scarbinsky: “As power plays go, this one described Thursday by the Associated Press was weaker than the Longhorn defense.”
19. Chris Low: “The news would be if people weren’t calling.”
20. Matt Hayes: “The storm is swirling again at Texas. And everyone wants a piece of Mack Brown.”
21. Did Saban do enough to stamp out the rumors? “They are probably as durable as those cockroaches that will survive nuclear war.”
22. Arkansas coach Bret Bielema says he hasn’t received “100 percent assurance” from doctors that quarterback Brandon Allen will play at Rutgers. Remains a game-time decision.
23. Florida expects starting cornerback Marcus Roberson right tackle Tyler Moore to play against Tennessee.
24. Alabama lineman Anthony Steen will be a game-time decision.
25. Kentucky coach Mark Stoops on what’s doctors have told him about quarterback Max Smith’s shoulder injury - “a different part of the shoulder, and that this shouldn’t have any effect on what’s previously been hurt, so we’ll see how he progresses.”
26. Source confirms Texas A&M freshman receiver Ricky Seals-Jones is having knee surgery today.
27. Georgia safety Corey Moore has bounced back quickly from a sprained knee.
28. South Carolina wide receiver Bruce Ellington’s hamstring is healthy - career-high eight catches last week.
29. Site of 2016 College Football Playoff championship? Pretty good chance it will be in SEC country.
30. Former Auburn coach Gene Chizik defends Nebraska coach Bo Pelini: “For people to be calling for his job because this (audiotape) was displayed to the public is insanity.”
31. T. Boone Pickens has a message for Sports Illustrated in the wake of their investigation into Oklahoma State.
32. It’s good to be the king. Nike’s Phil Knight, aka “Uncle Phil”, has his own locker at Oregon.
33. End of an era in Oxford, Mississippi. You can now get store-bought cold beer.
|Post Comments »||No Comments|