March 21st, 2013 12:29 PM║ Posted By: MrSEC.com ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Alabama, Barrett Jones, Jay Jacobs, Mal Moore, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Patrick Towles
1. Ole Miss wide receiver Philander Moore dismissed from team following domestic assault arrest.
2. The lasting legacy of Alabama A.D. Mal Moore, who announced yesterday he’s stepping down. While at Miami, Nick Saban called his wife Terry and told her he wouldn’t be leaving for Alabama: “She said, ‘Oh, Mal’s already here. We’ve been talking for an hour.’ That was his first step in the right direction.”
3. An outpouring of tributes and support for Moore from A.D.s and coaches around the country.
4. Crimson Tide may have found their replacement for Barrett Jones in Ryan Kelly. Alabama left tackle Cyrus Kouandjio: “I trust him as much as trusted Barrett Jones last year.”
5. Alabama will open its 2015 season against Wisconsin at Cowboys Stadium.
6. The big attraction at Kentucky’s spring practice will be the three-way quarterback competition – Maxwell Smith, Patrick Towles and Jalen Whitlow all vying for the job. Fifteen players participating in pro day at Kentucky.
7. Big challenge at Missouri – gaping holes in the defense. In SEC play, only Tennessee and Arkansas gave up more plays of 10 yards or more than Missouri (180) and more pass plays of 20 yards or more than Missouri (44).
8. Spring practice underway at Mississippi State. Two JUCO transfers could start right away.
9. Tennessee coach Butch Jones at the last practice before spring break: ”The soft guys will get exposed!”
10. With Jacoby Brissett no longer looking over his shoulder, Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel is more comfortable this spring. “This year, I’m the guy, and that does take a little bit off my shoulders.”
11. Most experienced tight end at LSU this fall will be Travis Dickson – he’s started on game in his career.
12. Auburn’s returning senior class wants to set a new tone. Defensive end Dee Ford: ”We’re taking more of a player approach to leadership, taking ownership.”
13. Ole Miss starting defensive end C.J. Johnson is having surgery today on his broken fibula – will miss the rest of spring practice.
14. JUCO transfer Jonathon Rumph is hoping to make an impact at wide receiver for Georgia this fall: “Nothing’s going to be given to me. I just came in to work hard and try to earn my spot just like everybody else.”
15. Fans can watch Vanderbilt scrimmage the next two Saturday mornings – spring game set for April 13.
16. Georgia pro day today - 18 players will work out for NFL scouts. Bulldogs have as many as nine guys projected to go in the first three rounds of the draft.
17. At Tennessee’s pro day Wednesday, quarterback Tyler Bray was asked about his draft stock. ”It’s whatever (NFL Network Analyst) Mr. (Mike) Mayock says it is.”
18. Missouri plays Colorado State tonight in Lexington. Frank Haith wants the Tigers to attack: “When the game’s on the line, the aggressive team wins.” Matchup ranked as one of the best in the first round.
19. Guard Phil Pressey hears what people are saying about Missouri. “You mean that we have enough talent to be in the Final Four, but we can just as easily shoot ourselves in the foot and lose in the first round?”
20. Ole Miss guard Nick Williams started his college career at Indiana, so he knows Wisconsin and the Big Ten style of basketball. ”It’s a fight to score points in that style.”
21. Can you guess which Ole Miss guard gets mentioned as one of the ten names to know in the NCAA Tournament?
22. This will be Florida’s 17th NCAA Tournament – a compilation of the best and worst of the openers.
23. Losing four players to season-ending injuries this past year, coach Rick Ray sees a brighter future for Mississippi State basketball.
24. Even with a huge freshmen class coming in, Kentucky coach John Calipari will have scholarship flexibility next season.
25. Five things to watch for today in the NCAA Tournament.
26. What’s a victory in the NCAA Tournament worth? $1.5 million.
27. Report: “College football and men’s basketball players at the NCAA FBS level have an average annual fair market value of $137,000 and $289,000.”
28. Want to change college athletics? Hit coaches where it hurts – their wallets.
29. Proposed changes to loosen rules on recruiting are headed back to the drawing board.
30. What was Tim Tebow doing at SMU Wednesday?
|Post Comments »||One Comment|