May 3rd, 2012 12:50 PM║ Posted By: John Pennington ║ Permalink
║ Schools: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
Tags: Little Rock, Phillip Sims, Receiver Quinta Funderburk, UVA
1. Virginia officially welcomed ex-Alabama quarterback Phillip Sims into its fold yesterday. (No word on whether he’ll try to get an NCAA hardship waiver.)
2. Receiver Quinta Funderburk is also reportedly headed to UVA after being granted a release from Arkansas.
3. The Razorback players who passed on early NFL entry say they have no regrets.
4. While this year’s LSU-Arkansas game is back on the Friday after Thanksgiving, it will shift from Little Rock to Fayetteville for the first time in nearly two decades.
5. Here’s a quickie, post-spring look at Mississippi State’s pass-catchers.
6. Rick Ray is set to make a million bucks a year at MSU and his assistants will makes $155,000 apiece.
7. The Texas A&M board or regents will consider simply buying out the rest of AD Bill Byrne’s contract when they meet today and tomorrow. (We told you two weeks ago that we didn’t see anyway he’d “transition” into any new role other than that of a non-A&M employee.)
8. Kevin Sumlin says Aggie running back Ben Malena “is one of the guys we can count on.”
9. After a mediocre first season in Gainesville, Will Muschamp is still popular among many Florida fans. (It says something about our microwave insta-culture that this fact actually needs to be made.)
10. One of most powerful, most outspoken, and most influential presidents in the NCAA — Georgia’s Michael Adams — has announced that he will retire next June after 16 years on the job…
11. But what will athletics legacy be for the man who forced out Jim Donnan and Vince Dooley, who hired Mark Richt and Jim Harrick, and who long ago for a college football playoff system? Adams has been a controversial figure to say the least.
13. Ex-Cat Anthony Davis could find himself on the US Olympic Team this summer.
14. South Carolina’s Jadeveon Clowney hopes to get his off-field act together in the coming months.
15. Vanderbilt hoops assistant Dan Muller is expected to interview for the head coaching job at Illinois State, his alma mater. (Muller was briefly mentioned in connection with the Mississippi State job this offseason.)
16. Missouri might need to start finding a few more pro-caliber offensive lineman as the school enters the SEC.
17. The healing process from shoulder surgery has been “so far, so good” for Mizzou quarterback James Franklin. (But sadly things don’t look so good for running back Henry Josey.)
18. This writer has LSU #1 and Alabama #3 in his post-spring rankings.
|Post Comments »||Comments (4)|